Sleeving 1" PEX underground?

Users who are viewing this thread

Wombat

Reaction score
The Plumber wants to bore under Slab of a Condo to by pass pre-existing galvanized pipes.
It will be One Inch PEX. I have read that it's a good idea to Sleeve underground PEX but apparently it is not required by code in WA. It is required by code in CA.

There does not seem to be any pre-sleeved One Inch PEX on the market. One would have to sleeve it in PE .
It is overkill to insist on Sleeving and if not how big should the PE sleeve pipe be?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
No not overkill at all thats the owner spec good Idea unless he cant bore it . I wouldnt care what it was sleeved in PE is fine . 1 1/2 inch or whatever fits
Im in CA havent run much pex but havent heard that sleeving was required

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
The Plumber wants to bore under Slab of a Condo to by pass pre-existing galvanized pipes.
It will be One Inch PEX. I have read that it's a good idea to Sleeve underground PEX but apparently it is not required by code in WA. It is required by code in CA.

There does not seem to be any pre-sleeved One Inch PEX on the market. One would have to sleeve it in PE .
It is overkill to insist on Sleeving and if not how big should the PE sleeve pipe be?

Total amateur observation here, but everything I've read about PEX is that you don't want want anything touching it that can leach chemicals into it. I don't even want to use a Sharpie on mine..

Underground, it seems that ground water could transfer all kinds of goodies into contact with it. I would definitely sleeve it if it were mine.

John

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Total amateur observation here, but everything I've read about PEX is that you don't want want anything touching it that can leach chemicals into it. I don't even want to use a Sharpie on mine..

Good point , same agument Ive heard 3/4 of my 63 years on earth.
I mark my "plastic" freezer bags with sharpie. So is PEX healthy or not? Been hearing how bad PVC is for many years. So PE which is used for potable water will leach into PEX? I install copper because people are leary of all plastic leaching but then there is the solder. Cant win I am an amature when it comes to knowing about saftey of products Ive heard tons of rumors, dont leave plastic water bottles in sun .you name it.
I pretty much ignor it I dont use much Pex but will check if pex touches PE will it cause harm or a mark from sharpie

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not saying you should have sleeving, but if you want that, it seems to me that 1-1/4 or bigger pressure-rated pvc would be better protection. The fact that it is more rigid might make it harder to install however.

Another thing to consider would be some 1-1/4 or bigger SIDR pipe. Much cheaper than PEX in those sizes.

1 inch pex is 1-1/8 od. PVC and SIDR pipe are bigger ID than their nominal sizes.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks