Squirrels and Chipmunks

Users who are viewing this thread

2020learn

Reaction score
Hello. How do you deter squirrels and chipmunks from digging the garden and potted plants? I've tried garlic, cayenne pepper, and even hairs but none of them worked.

vinman

Reaction score
We're out in the middle of a forest , so a BB gun , .22 and 12 gauge are the norm because they are nothing but a nuisance
We have live traps for the odd racoon or skunk that shows up every few years

Easy enough to bait squirels and chipmunks to a live trap and then relocate them by driving
to a different area , but in the city or town you'll be up against a never ending battle

In the woods they are not as common , once gone they'll be gone for quite a few years

Cheers ..... Vinny

2020learn

Reaction score
Thank you for your response Vinman. We don't want to be cruel to these creatures by using BB guns but we did use trap at one summer and caught one, the others are just too smart. We prefer to stick to a more humane/natural way to deter them at certain places of the garden.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Hello. How do you deter squirrels and chipmunks from digging the garden and potted plants? I've tried garlic, cayenne pepper, and even hairs but none of them worked.

Try soaking peanut shells in hot tabasco sauce for a few days then place the whole peanut in the potted plants. Similar to cayenne pepper but when critters try to ear it, it might discourage them from returning. If you can get raw peanut, then boil them in a hot sauce and red pepper.

2020learn

Reaction score
Try soaking peanut shells in hot tabasco sauce for a few days then place the whole peanut in the potted plants. Similar to cayenne pepper but when critters try to ear it, it might discourage them from returning. If you can get raw peanut, then boil them in a hot sauce and red pepper.
Thank you. I've been trying the ground cinnamon sprinkled around the plants. So far it seems to be working but I don't know for how long or how it will affect the plants. If it fails, I will sure try your Tabasco flavoured peanuts next.

2020learn

Reaction score
Have you tried using vinegar or peppermint oil?
Sorry for not replying soon, been busy. My concern about vinegar is that it might kill my plants since I used it to kill weeds. I've tried peppermint before and it didn't work. Someone told me that they (chipmunks) eat fruits and veggies because they're thirsty and that I should put a bowl of water for them. Never tried it since my neighbour have a pond and bird baths. I'm also surrounded by farms so I'm wondering why my garden?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks