Basement bathroom - struggling for layout ideas

Users who are viewing this thread

Greg Reed

Reaction score
I'm planning to add a bathroom to my basement, but struggling for a good layout. As you can see from the attached layout, I have two 3" stacks coming down from the first floor. I'm ASSUMING its a straight line from the 1st to the 2nd (running right to left in the pic). After that, I have no idea where the pipe goes. Also don't know if the pipe grows to 4" somewhere? I do have access to underneath the stair landing, obviously with limited headroom.

Any suggestions for a good layout?
(Venting is another challenge - only vent to tie in to is the 1 1/2" one at the laundry sink. But I have to cross under the stair landing, at a height of ~ 42")

Code is 2015 IPC , according to town website (not sure why not 2018 yet, but anyway ...)

upload_2020-4-9_10-31-52.png

Reach4

Reaction score

Attachments

• img_3.png
    img_3.png
    34 KB · Views: 591
  • IMG_4.png
    IMG_4.png
    32.1 KB · Views: 316

Greg Reed

Reaction score
Thanks for quick reply. But perhaps my description wasn't accurate. That stack is coming down from above, then turns 90 deg to horizontal under the basement slab, running top right to bottom left in the pic. This bathroom group is on that same slab. So as you have drawn it, the waster almost does a 360 deg turn?

Greg Reed

Reaction score
I'm thinking now about this as a possibility. Shower to tie in separately, with its own vent.
Toilet to tie in before shower, wet vented from lav. The lav drain would run horizontally in the wall, drop to vertical above 3" toilet line.
upload_2020-4-9_11-52-9.png

Thoughts ??

Reach4

Reaction score
Got it. I misinterpreted So looks like you can wet vent the toilet with the lav before it joins the flow, and the shower gets its own dry vent. Dry vent is vertical, and can be an AAV.

This is the same as yours.

Attachments

• img_5.png
    img_5.png
    67.2 KB · Views: 283

Greg Reed

Reaction score
Finally, like this:

I'm having a hard time to make a normal 3D "stick man" sketch that shows this.
upload_2020-4-9_13-46-41.png

GTPlumber

Reaction score
This doesn't have to do with your situation, but according to 2018 IPC, can you not just wet vent the shower from the LAV as well. Did the 2018 IPC remove the requirement of the Lav being the last fixture in a wet vented area?

I know yours is 2015, I'm just wondering about 2018 however.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks