Changing wire colors

Users who are viewing this thread

Brian2147

Reaction score
Came across a panel with a black wire #6 was wrapped with green tape is this allowed, I believe not if somebody could reference a NEC code. I know there a certain circumstances you can re-identify with certain colors . Thanks in advance.

Reach4

Reaction score
That may be a function of when the panel was wired. I don't know when the current marking rule came into effect.

In code, the wire with insulation that is commonly green is called an equipment grounding conductor. The the wire with insulation that is commonly white is called a grounded conductor.

https://www.ecmweb.com/national-ele.../code-qa-identification-of-circuit-conductors says
The neutral conductor of a branch circuit must be identified in accordance with 200.6 [210.5(A)]. Equipment grounding conductors can be bare, covered, or insulated. Insulated equipment grounding conductors size 6 AWG and smaller must have a continuous outer finish either green or green with one or more yellow stripes, in conformance with 250.119 [210.5(B)]. On equipment grounding conductors 4 AWG and larger, insulation can be permanently reidentified with green marking at the time of installation at every point where the conductor is accessible [250.119(A)].
So if that were #4 AWG, it could be OK.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks