Help ID shower/tub faucet stem

Users who are viewing this thread

coastercoaster

Reaction score
Hi I am hoping someone can help me identify the stem/cartridge for these faucet handles. 1918 home in California Bay Area, though the shower remodel is surely later than that.

IMG_20200528_122020.jpg IMG_20200528_122228.jpg

The existing stem protrudes a mere ~1 1/2 inches from the tile wall (with the cold side protruding about 1/8 inch less than hot). And the cartridges seem to have been buried in grout/tile when a prior owner retiled and brought the shower wall out from the room wall (my guess is they added a wall-mounted shower pipe to what was only a tub and then just tiled over everything).

IMG_20200528_122244.jpg

The stem has 20 point splines which extend the full length of the stem rather than being isolated to the tip of the stem. Diameter of the stems is, by my ruler, 7/16 inches. There is some sort of nut--not a hex, but a circle with two flat sides--at the base of the visible stem that might be able to turn with a wrench. But I haven't tried that for fear of what might go wrong. I'm not sure it's the "packing nut" or what.

IMG_20200530_171649.jpg

The handles themselves have been fitted with some sort of adapter and entirely lack a set screw to secure them to the stems, making me think they were repurposed from bathroom sink faucet handles? The stems, by contrast, have what looks like a hole for a traditional set screw attachment point.

IMG_20200528_122007.jpg

I've done a fair bit of internet sleuthing and have called a few antique or specialty plumbing repair parts shops but no one has been able to identify these stems/cartridges. Can anyone help?

Also, I'd welcome any ideas for extending the length of these stems. All I can think of now are the "universal" adapter with a square broach. I'm not sure if there is a solution short of breaking out the surrounding grout/tile but I'm open to anything -- thank you!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Usually ACE hardware in the store will have a catalog of hundreds of brass stems. I can't say I've seen them recently at my ACe store that is only a few years old. I'm there at least once a week.

coastercoaster

Reaction score
Usually ACE hardware in the store will have a catalog of hundreds of brass stems. I can't say I've seen them recently at my ACe store that is only a few years old. I'm there at least once a week.
Thanks. I went by there this week and pored over exactly the catalog you have in mind buy couldn't find it!
No luck there

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
- What's wrong with these stems?
- Is time of the essence, or there is no rush?
- Would you be open to the idea of replacing the faucet?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks