Three way switch question

Users who are viewing this thread

James23912

Reaction score
Hi I am trying to run a couple of 3 ways with 2 lights on each section, in each case the power goes into the switch but I dont under stand something, a book I have shows 2 diagrams, one says End of Run Lights Controlled By Two Three Way Switches. the second says Two Lights Between Two Switches with Power through Switch.

the first one is fairly simple, 2 wire power into one switch, then 3 way to second switch, then power to one light and then to the second, ending there, while the second version is far more complicated, power to the first switch, then 3 wire to a fixture, then 2 two wires to the second fixture, then 3 wire to the other switch.
none of the diagrams the book has show power continuing to any other fixture, so maybe that is what I am missing, IOW, every diagram is kind of self contained, but it seems like the first one would be the one to use for any 3 way set up, assuming you can just make a pigtail at the incoming power in the first set up ( the end of run one) and then go to something else.

What I'm getting at is that any 3 way set up is essentially an end of run? I mean, even with a single light and single pole switch, the run just stops at the light, even though power continues thru the switch to something else, so isn't that section to a light basically end of run? or does the fact that power continues on thru a pigtail at the switch mean it is not end of run?

Sorry to be so dense but I don't understand the difference, I have been trying to do outlets first and then finishing at the 3 way switch, but I can't do it for every one

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two diagrams are basically doing the same things, (although the second one is missing some neutral wires).. You just consider the two 3 ways as a "module connected together with the two travelers". Power goes into one end to the module and flows out the other end to the fixtures. NOTHING connects to the wires between the 3 ways.

James23912

Reaction score
The two diagrams are basically doing the same things, (although the second one is missing some neutral wires).. You just consider the two 3 ways as a "module connected together with the two travelers". Power goes into one end to the module and flows out the other end to the fixtures. NOTHING connects to the wires between the 3 ways.

hi thanks, I am not trying to connect anything in between, I just want to know how I can continue the power that comes into the first switch so that I can continue the run to other fixtures, or even use the incoming power in the same box for another light, so I was thinking I could bring the two wire from the panel into a box and use that to connect a three way for two hall lights and also power the four can lights in the ceiling, I assume this is possible, otherwise every three way would have to have its own breaker, and as I said, the diagrams in the book and even online never seem to show how to continue the power to anything else, I just want to be sure about this,

so I want to run a two wire into a two gang bos and then run three wire to another bos at the end of the hall, then run from that box to the two hall ceiling lights, while also using the original two wire to power the can light
thanks, what I am trying to say is, can I run power to a two gang box, and power both a single kitchen light on a three way switch while also using the same two wire to power four can lights in the kitchen ceiling from a single pole switch in the original two gang box.
I ran a three wire to the single box on the other side of the room, then two wire to the single light, but I also have four can lights in the ceiling that I want to power from the original two wire in the two gang box using a pigtail to power both the three way and the single pole.
Basically I. Just want to know how to bring power to a box on a two wire, run a three way from that, and then continue the run from that same box to other fixtures, I assume it can be done by using pigtails , otherwise it would mean every three way has to be on its own circuit, but I just want to be sure I am doing it right as I don’t want to find out that I am turning off whatever is downstream from the box where the two wire comes in and powers the three wire set up.

like I said, I am kind of dense in some ways and none of the diagrams I look at shows anything beyond the three way connections themselves, they never show how to continue the run

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
hi thanks, I am not trying to connect anything in between, I just want to know how I can continue the power that comes into the first switch so that I can continue the run to other fixtures, or even use the incoming power in the same box for another light, so I was thinking I could bring the two wire from the panel into a box and use that to connect a three way for two hall lights and also power the four can lights in the ceiling, I assume this is possible, otherwise every three way would have to have its own breaker, and as I said, the diagrams in the book and even online never seem to show how to continue the power to anything else, I just want to be sure about this,

So I want to run a two wire into a two gang boxes and then run three wire to another bos at the end of the hall, then run from that box to the two hall ceiling lights, while also using the original two wire to power the can light

thanks, what I am trying to say is, can I run power to a two gang box, and power both a single kitchen light on a three way switch while also using the same two wire to power four can lights in the kitchen ceiling from a single pole switch in the original two gang box.
I ran a three wire to the single box on the other side of the room, then two wire to the single light, but I also have four can lights in the ceiling that I want to power from the original two wire in the two gang box using a pigtail to power both the three way and the single pole.
Basically I. Just want to know how to bring power to a box on a two wire, run a three way from that, and then continue the run from that same box to other fixtures, I assume it can be done by using pigtails , otherwise it would mean every three way has to be on its own circuit, but I just want to be sure I am doing it right as I don’t want to find out that I am turning off whatever is downstream from the box where the two wire comes in and powers the three wire set up.........

Yes you can. This is the easiest of the many different wiring methods if you are installing all new wire. Many combinations are shown mainly depending where the power source comes from. If you have an existing simple 2 way switch and a light or two, then just run a 3-wire to the second switch location.
Your description is a little confusing on what you want to do. The location of where you want to add the 3-way switch and continue with another 3-way set of switches, you must have a power source, it cannot be had from the newly added three way switch. If there is no power now for the can lights run a second cable (2-wire) and bring the black and white over to the single 2-way switch. If there is already the 2-way switch for the can lights, just leave it.

3 way.jpg

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks, I know it is hard to describe stuff, so I can explain the exact details, This is new construction, I have 2 wire coming from the panel into a 3 gang box on an interior wall in the kitchen, I have run a 3 wire over to another box about 15 feet away by the exterior door, and then from that second box I ran. 2 wire to a single over head kitchen light. That is what the diagrams show, seems straightforward.
I also want 4 can lights in the ceiling and I would also like to run a hallway light on this same circuit, so I assumed I could just make a pigtail wher the power enters the first box and power all 3 switches from the 2 wire from the panel, but I can not find any diagrams that show how to wire anything but the main kitchen light, so I want to be clear that I can run other fixtures from the original 2 wire coming into the first box, I appreciate people helping,

The diagram shown is not the way I did the 3 wire but it does seem to show that power can be run to other fixtures where is says Power To 2 Way Switch Circuit, but I don’t get the different colors

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
It sounds like you have it figured out. Since this is new construction you should have a licensed electrician contracted to get the job done and pass inspections, especially installing the meter box. You can ask the electrician to look over your work, it can save a lot of time and money if the rough in inspection doesn't pass and you cannot close the walls.

I just used those colors to be seen from the picture. It's not easy drawing a white line with a white background, they should be WHT & BLK. Just daisy chain the power to each switch. Most times all switches in a gang box are tied together via the black wire. You can pigtail all the black wires to each switch (brass screw) or some will wrap the black wire around one screw of one switch and continue with the same wire to the next switch without the use of a wire nut. Just need to leave insulation on the wire between the switches. All of the white wires are tied together under one wire nut. Always try to use the deepest boxes made, gets crowded with a lot of wire nuts. You can bring power to one gang box and continue with this power circuit to the next box for other switches or outlets.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don’t get the different colors
Wire shown as yellow will actually be bare or green.

Wire shown as white between black lines is white. Blue represents white.

Others are not white, green or bare. Those colors can vary, with black or red being common.

James23912

Reaction score
Hi thanks very much, it seemed obvious but as I said, the diagrams don’t show the overall picture. I do work with a licensed electrician who is supposed to be overseeing my work but he hasn’t been following though so I have been looking online. I have been using the larger boxes and try8ng to not fit too much into any and using more circuits than I could get away with. Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks