Ceramic Artist

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
aren't there any "ceramic artist" sites? If not maybe you should start one. Kohler has kilns that are large enough for a bathtub.
My project is actually a sink, but I know there are a number of companies with industrial kilns that can accomodate a tub. I'm curious if anyone on the forum has gone through the process of having a cast iron fixture stripped and re-coated, and what their experience was like.

As a side note, I have two original tubs, and I noticed one has a blue"Kohler USA" stamp in the corner. We think they are from the 1920s. The condition is excellent. Honestly, the thing looks brand new after close to 100 years. I recently bought a Kohler Bellwether tub, and the coating looked very similar. I do feel the quality is there. I also have a newer bathroom with a steel tub installed in the 80s, and it's definitely past end of life and has many chips and looks terrible. Now most folks in the 80s probably weren't worried about how their tubs would look in 30 years, but the fact is the 1920s Kohler cast iron tub just keeps on going, and the tile looks great too. I guess what I'm saying is the cast iron is a decent investment if you plan to hold the home a long time. And for an old sink or tub, it's probably not a bad investment to sandblast and refinish.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks