Is this a fair price for the plumbing work performed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Meanderchap

Reaction score
I'm a property manager and called a new plumber for a leak coming from the wall under a kitchen sink. The charge is $700 for labor and $40 for new piping, so $740. He took about 2 hours to perform the job. The job description is as follows. Here is as photo after the job was completed: Just wondering if this is out of the norm. Thanks!

ERaM2Fv.jpg

1. I opened the wall to remove the drain pipe and vent.

2. I installed a new ABS drain pipe and drain pipe inside the wall.

3. I removed old "P" Trap and drain pipes to garbage disposal and two sink drains

4. I installed new " P" Trap and new ABS drain pipes to garbage disposal and two sink drains

Last edited by a moderator:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Theirs no right or wrong answer to that. People can't live without a functioning plumbing system. unless you're self sufficient everyone is out to take your money.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Be thankful you're not in NYC.
Did you ask for an estimate after the plumber opened the wall?
I also see more work, in the water supply lines.

Reach4

Reaction score
Any comments on the corrugated no-hub connectors rather than the smooth-band shielded connectors?
I also see more work, in the water supply lines.
I initially thought that too. I think those old galvanized supply pipes were abandoned in the wall, and copper supply pipes installed, previously to this work.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
$700 does that include traveling tme? '

As traveling on the free way can take an hour or more

How much insurance coverage do you require ( one of my nursing homes require 7 million liability)

Was it one man or a mechanic and helper

Why did you call a new plumber?

Was the service provided neat and promptly taken care of?

The Mission and no hub copling is perfectly legal and much better then using a Fernco coupling

Doing the above work opening the wall and doing the right job was well worth the $700

Personally I would never have installed the existing shut off valves I use a C x F adapter then use an IPS valve

Plumbs

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sounds fair to me. A lot of people think the time on site is all they have to pay for. You have to remember the company has to pay for insurance, fuel to get to you, time spent restocking parts, time spent getting to your house, etc.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Sounds fair to me. A lot of people think the time on site is all they have to pay for. You have to remember the company has to pay for insurance, fuel to get to you, time spent restocking parts, time spent getting to your house, etc.

The new ICC gas regulations required I had to sent my employees to classes as I paid them to go (FLSA) and the classes cost $800 per employee and OSHA and sexual harassment class etc

My company is so governed I no longer know who actually owns it

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks