Replacing tub and brass drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bschooly

Reaction score
Ok here is a picture of where the trap will have to go as I need it push further in to allow for vent T. I placed the T from the tub on the concrete. Note the offset. Can I angle the down line or is that not permitted?

Also is 1 1/2 ok for the vent or should I stick with 2 inch?

Also the rubber grommet fit easily w/o PVC inserted. Will it tighten? Do I need some sort of silicon caulk?

Attachments

• IMG_20200403_184351.jpg
    IMG_20200403_184351.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Bschooly

Reaction score
I think a direct drain setup will work. Can't find one online. The watco site is a mess. Ideas on where I can find a direct drain kit with a quality overflow finish?

Bschooly

Reaction score
See image, the T to the left will (I haven't yet actually glued anything) come off line at 45 degree angle. The p trap will attach directly to tub drain. The overflow will T off it. Before I finalize this, is this all good?

Confused about the T. Is a san tee ok for this? I hope orientation doesn't matter as I'll need to chip away more concrete if I switch it around.

One last question. Where should I stop and leave exposed for the plumbing inspection?

Attachments

• IMG_20200405_143454.jpg
    IMG_20200405_143454.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 149

Bschooly

Reaction score
Sorry maybe I wasn't not clear. I'm planning on a direct drain arrangement. I won't be using the traditional arrangement. The san tee that I was talking about is the one I'm inserting in the line after the trap for the venting.

Is this OK?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sorry maybe I wasn't not clear. I'm planning on a direct drain arrangement. I won't be using the traditional arrangement. The san tee that I was talking about is the one I'm inserting in the line after the trap for the venting.

Is this OK?

We are using combos for venting on the horizontal like that.
If that doesn't fit though, then do what you can. I installed plenty of santees like that until the code changed.

Bschooly

Reaction score
Combos? Sorry to be a pain. Not following you.

To summarize my situation.

1. Best I can tell the tub is borderline, maybe worse, re it's venting. It drained ok before but while I have things torn up I thought I'd remove any doubt. Then of course there's the issue of inspection.
2. To vent it, means I have to insert a T (for the v pipe) and that pushes the trap further under the tub.
3. I have just enough lateral space to do a direct drain setup.
4. I looked at the direct kit that watco has but the overflow cover is plastic. a non starter for me.
5. I've decided to buy a half kit (with decent trim), throw away the elbow and use a straight fitting instead. Then add a T beneath it for the overflow.

All of this goes away if the vent is not necessary,

Thanks for your patience with me.

Bill

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a line drawing or diagram of what you propose, unless you think people are following you sufficiently.

index.php

Reach4

Reaction score
The vent needs to be behind the p-trap, not part of it.
I just grabbed that as an example of a sketch that describes a situation, and not a solution. Here is another example of the caliber of sketch that could communicate better than words.
index.php

Bschooly

Reaction score
Here is what I'm trying to do. Not to scale :) distorted, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• direct.png
    direct.png
    83 KB · Views: 161

Reach4

Reaction score
Clearly Terry followed your words better than I did.
So yes, that trap arm would use a combo, or a (wye, with a 45 or 30 or whatever it takes) to go up at the angle you want.

Bschooly

Reaction score
What is the current thinking on capping the hole underneath the tub? I have filled with sand with about 2" left. Should I use concrete to finish. 2" should be easy to break. Termites are a big problem here.

Attachments

• IMG_20200412_153343.jpg
    IMG_20200412_153343.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 145

Bschooly

Reaction score
BTW this is how my new venting turned out...

Attachments

• IMG_20200411_151758.jpg
    IMG_20200411_151758.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 149
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks