Schluter drain location problems

Users who are viewing this thread

BradB

Reaction score
I am almost ready to install my Schluter Offset Shower. I just realized that the shower pan drain is directly overtop the floor joist.

This is a century home second-floor bathroom. I am not too comfortable cutting the joist and boxing in a new drain area. The joists are beefy but the house is balloon framed.

I am wondering if I can cut the front of the shower pan so the drain lines up (about 5 inches) and then use some mortar to rebuild the slope that would be cut off?

Any other options or suggestions?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would move your drain location. I have not used Schluter, but there must be some better options than trimming off one side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
What you're suggesting could work, but to maintain at least the minimum slope, moving the drain and cutting some off would then create those areas to have a different height when you're done. People prefer the bottom row of tile to line up level, but functionally, it won't matter. Moving 6" or so would only mean a 1/8" difference approximately, and you could just keep the row level and you may not notice the difference after caulking that seam. INdustry standards call for an expansion joint at all changes of plane and materials, so that joint shouldn't be grouted.

If you're going to use some drypack, it would be probably better to just do the entire pan out of it, then cover it with the Kerdi sheet.

Laticrete will build you a pan to your exact requirements, and the Kerdi will attach to it fine, but I'm not positive if the drains are compatible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks