Kitchen sink supply, double stub out or dual shutoffs

Users who are viewing this thread

Gslenk

Reaction score
To accommodate water supplies for kitchen sink, dishwasher, and potentially fridge ice-maker/water filter etc...

I was thinking on each supply (hot/cold): source - copper - tee (stub for DW) - copper - sweat drop ell (for sink hot). Then basically the same thing for the cold side.

OR should I only stub out one supply as usual, then use a dual valve on each single stub out to make connections.

Don't know why I'm thinking the double stub out would be cleaner, even though a single stub out seems more flexible to various configurations. In the event that one of the double stubs is not used, would capping the stub out and/or shutoff create a place for bacteria to grow in the water line?

And while I'm on the topic of sharing supplies, would it be a bad idea (completely separate branch) to run something similar in a bathroom: Main supply (3/4") - 1/2" copper (for this branch) - tee (for WC supply) - copper (then about 3 ft over) - drop ell (for lav cold supply).

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I would stub out four times and use the standard stops. To me that's a cleaner look and makes for easier replacements.
Three of those with have 3/8" comp outputs and the icemaker will be 1/4"
The dishwasher and the icemaker should have hammer arrestors.

Gslenk

Reaction score
Thanks! It seems to be my understanding that hammer arrestors are (or could be) a wear/replaceable component. Should I go for external arrestors that go between the stop valve and the supply line to the DW/fridge? Or have I been reading too many unverified horror stories and just bury them in the wall?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The hammer arrestor do fail over time. A lot of the plumbers are setting them up so that a threaded arrestor can be replaced later.

minires.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks