UPC Vent Height? 6" above flood level of fixtures served

Users who are viewing this thread

djfremen

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Here's my bathroom group for an ADU.
Is there any benefit going all the way to 7'8" inside the wall cavity for all the vents? Can I move that cross down and just go up with a single 2" pipe to roof?

Thanks much,

1A.png

1B.png

Mike Rock

Reaction score
As long as you are 6 inches above highest flood rim, which is usually around 42" for the lav, you should be fine.
Are there any studs in this wall that would prevent you to do this? Usually it easier in this case then to do what you did, go all the way vertical into attic, then joining it to 1 pipe, otherwise you would need to notch every stud about 2" to pass the stud horizontally.

djfremen

Reaction score
Are there any studs in this wall that would prevent you to do this?

Thanks Mike. I haven't built the wall yet but going to frame up 2x6 for the plumbing wall and will pass horizontally. I mocked it up 10" above flood level of standard LAV height.

2A.png

2B.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Toilet vent could be omitted, because lavatory can wet-vent the toilet, and there is no non-bathroom fixture before the toilet. You can run that vent for the toilet, but no need. You then don't need a sanitary tee for the toilet, but could run down at 45 into the rotated combo, or other way.

Also, your combining-vent fitting (double santee?) would be oriented upward from the fixture to the roof-- the opposite of what it would be for drain lines.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
He's using the lav as a place for the end of line cleanout.
The kitchen sink upstream is why he's not wet venting. It's a combination of bathroom and non bathroom.

Reach4

Reaction score
The kitchen sink upstream is why he's not wet venting. It's a combination of bathroom and non bathroom.
I think the kitchen sink (if that is the trap on the non-bathroom side of the wall) is downstream of the lav and toilet, and upstream of the shower.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Yes the lav can wet vent the toilet, but it's also a good place for a cleanout. If you having a cleanout there, it hardly matters whether it's vented there or or by the toilet nearby.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't get where the cleanout being under the lav has anything to do with having or not having a separate vent for the toilet. BTW, I'm not seeing any connection to the toilet. This is of those cases where close doesn't count.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I don't get where the cleanout being under the lav has anything to do with having or not having a separate vent for the toilet. BTW, I'm not seeing any connection to the toilet. This is of those cases where close doesn't count.

There is never one way to plumb a home. This thread can go on and on and on. But at some point, it will be plumbed, inspected and moved into.

djfremen

Reaction score

It's end of line in lav because I want put this plumbing in slab on grade. Otherwise, I'd include the clean-out in a crawl. Here's an angle for the toilet plumbing.

3A.png

djfremen

Reaction score
Also, your combining-vent fitting (double santee?) would be oriented upward from the fixture to the roof-- the opposite of what it would be for drain lines.

Good catch. This is for rainwater drainage? Never knew why they were inverted for venting...
Here's with the inversion with the kitchen sink model and lower joists. The concrete piers are actually going to be slab on grade.

3B.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It's a philophical thing based on the direction the "gas" is flowing. It has absolutely nothing to do with the real world since gas flows in all directions and does NOT NEED to be "guided" by the fittings sweep.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks