Garage Bathroom Rough-In Piping

Users who are viewing this thread

EdNC

Reaction score
I am in need of some guidance regarding Rough-In piping in my pole barn before I pour the concrete slab. The bathroom is 6'x9' as shown in the diagram. Blue are 2" pipes and Green are 3" pipes. Will this setup pass inspection. Do I need a vent for the shower? Do I also need a Clean-out? Thank you.
Pole Barn Plumbing Layout 4.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Something like this maybe. Lav wet vents the shower and toilet. So toilet after lav and shower The drain from the lav over to join the shower drain could be in the wall instead of the floor I think. If the general concept works, then we could discuss the fittings to implement and max distances.

If the general concept works, then improvements are obvious, such as toilet drain angling rather than being at right angles to walls.
Red and purple are 2 inch.

Edit: revised attached sketch.

Attachments

• img_1a.jpg
    img_1a.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 17,461
Last edited:

EdNC

Reaction score
Something like this maybe. Lav wet vents the shower and toilet. So toilet after lav and shower The drain from the lav over to join the shower drain could be in the wall instead of the floor I think. If the general concept works, then we could discuss the fittings to implement and max distances.

If the general concept works, then improvements are obvious, such as toilet drain angling rather than being at right angles to walls.
Red and purple are 2 inch.

Basically I am required to vent the outside utility sink separately based on your drawing. It cannot be wet vented with the inside sink?

Reach4

Reaction score
Basically I am required to vent the outside utility sink separately based on your drawing. It cannot be wet vented with the inside sink?
I think so . For sure that way with UPC, but NC is IPC.

See https://wabo.memberclicks.net/assets/pdfs/Plumbing_Venting_Brochure_2018.pdf and note this:
Section 202 of Chapter 2 is the key to the maximum number and type of fixtures that can
be accommodated by a horizontal wet vent. The definition of Bathroom Group is a group
of fixtures consisting of a water closet, lavatory, bathtub or shower, including or excluding
a bidet, an emergency floor drain or both.​

There are 5 other occurrences of bathroom group in that pdf.

Note that your laundry sink is not one of the things listed in a bathroom group.

However under IPC, it may not be necessary to make the toilet the last thing in line for the bathroom group. Read that pdf.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Venting at the sink and lav takes place on the high side of the trap arm.
Expecting it to magically be vented lower than that isn't science. Without the vent on top, everything siphons.

The shower can do a horizontal wet vent as the pipe eventually rises upward, not down. It's also run with 2" which allows what would be an 1.5" drain on the lav to be twice the size in volume, allowing air over the draining water for venting.
The toilet can be wet vented by the lav/shower, but not by the laundry sink. The laundry sink not being a bathroom fixture is a separate animal.
Don't let it bite you.

Reach4

Reaction score
New markup running lav drain and wet vent mostly in the wall. The path from the U in the trap, thru the wall, until it vent, must be under 8 ft total path with 2 inch under IPC. That is the trap arm.

I will change my earlier picture, because I had an unneeded vent drawn in there.

Attachments

• img_2a.jpg
    img_2a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 2,958
Last edited:

EdNC

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Based on this illustration (see below) from the PDF you sent I can use my original layout but switch the position of the sink and the toilet. One (1) fixture before the 2" wet vent and the other two (2) after the 2" wet vent and not to exceed four (4) fixtures in total and the maximum distance of 8'. Thanks again.
upload_2020-3-30_17-9-56.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Nope. The laundry sink cannot be involved as part of the bathroom group. That sink needs a vent, tho it could be an AAV.

EdNC

Reaction score
Ok. So I will need to vent the Laundry Sink and connect it to the vent. I just want to make it as simple as possible. Will this work. Thank you

Pole Barn Plumbing Layout 5.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not sure if this meets the wet venting requirements of an IPC bathroom group. I tend to think not, because the lavatory is not doing the wet venting.

Alternatively, you will have to dry-vent the shower by running the shower trap arm to the wall to hit the vent. Then it can come to join the toilet drainage. In that case, the toilet would not need its own vent.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks