Tub spout drop from mixing valve too short

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYorBust

Reaction score
If it's upside-down, hot and cold would be reversed. If it's right side up, then it sounds like you could just install a brass nipple, as shown in Terry's diagram, and then install the appropriate fittings to connect your tub spout off of that. If that didn't work, we'd need to understand more about how you installed it.

DIYorBust

Reaction score
Y
No, not really. Most rough-ins are designed for possible back-to-back installations so it is in how the valve is inserted that compensates for the "reversed" inlets.

But I assume they were not planning this to be a reverse inlet situation when they selected and installed the cartridge.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
HOW the cartridge is inserted determines whether the hot and cold are reversed, NOT whether the valve is inverted. I commonly invert the valve for a shower only installation. It eliminates many future problems.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, how the cartridge is installed can also help on back-to-back installations where it then makes it easier to plumb rather than crossing over the pipes so they are on the 'correct' sides on the chosen valve.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once you have the cartridge out, you should probably be able to tell which outlet in the valve body is larger...

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Once you have the cartridge out, you should probably be able to tell which outlet in the valve body is larger...
I don't know about larger and the OP still has not said what model rough-in. My guess is it is similar to the following as I mentioned before.
Tell us what model you have and post a pic of the front with the valve cartridge removed.
multichoice_d1.jpg

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Again, all we can do is make wild ass guesses since the OP has not divulged what rough-in he used. Take a look at the following video where a different rough-in was used. On it, the third hole is at the bottom, unlike the R10000. The guy does ramble on but if you watch towards the end, he does provide a pretty good 360 degree view of the rough-in so you can see what route the water needs to take to work properly.

pooldoc

Reaction score
Sorry got busy yesterday. The model is a Delta B114900. Don't have a picture as it is at my grandsons house.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I think that model uses the rough-in shown in the video I posted above. It only shows the word "UP" on the back of the mounting bracket which you won't see after it is installed. You can see the internal ports however by pulling the cartridge. Compare it to the pic below. I am sure you installed it upside down.

chrome_2020-03-31_07-11-09.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

pooldoc

Reaction score
Thanks I will check it out when I can get back by there. Guess if it is upside down i will get to change it now before we close the backside.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks