Fluidmaster 400a lasted one day

Users who are viewing this thread

Nick Esposito

Reaction score
Went out on a service call yesterday. Running toilet. Determined it was not the flapper or a leaking Douglas valve. So i changed the ballcock. Got a call today saying the new fluidmaster is not working. Then they tell me.... BTW.. they changed the fluidmaster twice before calling me. So this is three in a month. Only difference is mine is from my local plumbing supplier and theirs was cheaper and from a local hardware store. Only other clue is that the water pressure is very low. Thirty two pounds by my reading. I assume its just high iron content in the well water but only lasting one day??

Thanks for you opinions

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If it is a plastic overflow tube, I seen them crack at the base just enough to leak and not break off.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Don't the Fluidmasters use line pressure in combination to the float lever to effect a positive shutoff? If so, then low pressure may be the issue. I have three conventional long arm float valves in my 25 year old well water house, and they're all original. They look like these.
maxresdefault.jpg

This type would use the float only to shut off the water, so water pressure should have no effect on the effort the float arm applies to the shutoff valve.

John

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
If you went there and saw a new Fluidmaster ( one month old) why would you change it?

Normally I think one would close the supply valve remove the cover remove the disc then open the valve slowly to make sure the supply is free flowing

Reassemble and flush it several times to see if any sediment blocks it

I had an employee replace THREE Gerber faucets as everyone he said was was defective on the hot side no water.

I FIRED him and went to the job and removed the speedy supply placed a can under the angle valve and a bib screw came out. The brass screw acted like a check valve and it would stop the flow and if the faucet was opened slowly it worked if opened fully the screw would cut off the supply

It is the little things you have to check Disconnect the supply tube by the valve and check so some obstruction

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
By the way the picture of the ball cock with the refill tube inserted into the over flow tube is bad plumbing practice as it defeats the vacuum breaker purpose

If anything the rubber refill tube should have a loop above the ball cock just as if installing a dishwasher

Fluid master they want an air gap installed so the tube will not be inserted into the over tube

fm_fillvalve_siphon.jpg

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I had a case when a PE / Mechanical engineer testified how there is no way to stop a toilet tank from over flowing if the seal in a ball cock fails

This was one of the best cases I ever had at the deposition as I said the over flow is there for a valid reason to prevent this type of flooding that damaged 6 apartments (The co op owners were in Europe)

I said every decent plumber when installing a fill valves holds the float down and adjust the globe valve which is used for throttling to make sure the water entering the tank is safely entering the over flow tube the same principle we use on roof tanks

The jury agreed with me

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks