How do I get my 3" drain pipe through these floor trusses?

Users who are viewing this thread

tonyprieto

Reaction score
Hello all.. running a 3" drain pipe through the trusses and want to go between the bottom and top cord.. but these things are set at 16" centers... I really don't want to cut up my drain with a dozen couplings so I know this isn't the first time someone has run into this problem.. and I really don't want to go below the floor truss it's right in the middle of my garage below.. please advise!! Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200321_125218487.jpg
    IMG_20200321_125218487.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20200321_125037157.jpg
    IMG_20200321_125037157.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 183

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a piece of 3 inch PVC. If you can't jockey 60 or 48 inch pieces into place, then cut to a length you can use. Then use more couplers.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can angle that in and the pipe will also bend some. A 2x4 and a hammer helps to tap it in sometimes.

Those have got to be the easiest joists to work with. You can do it.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
An out of the box possibility, so to speak, would be to drill a hole in the exterior of the garage to slide full lengths into the truss chord chase. If you have vinyl siding that can be easily removed and replaced, and you'd only have to drill through a layer of sheathing, it wouldn't be hard to patch the sheathing and weather resistive barrier.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
An out of the box possibility, so to speak, would be to drill a hole in the exterior of the garage to slide full lengths into the truss chord chase. If you have vinyl siding that can be easily removed and replaced, and you'd only have to drill through a layer of sheathing, it wouldn't be hard to patch the sheathing and weather resistive barrier.
Put a light fixture over the hole.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks