SEPTIC TANK INSTALLATION DEPTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Jazzman

Reaction score
Hi, I’m replacing old metal septic tank with new code-approved norwesco low profile 1,000 gallon tank in Oregon. I can’t seem to find info I amount of cover required. The digging is really difficult in my area so I don’t want to over dig. You can get a riser as small 6” high. Would that be adequate and set outlet deep enough underground. I can adjust inlet from house to get required 1/4” per foot drop.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking somebody would comment on the minimum depth for the building sewer pipe that goes to the septic tank.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I was thinking somebody would comment on the minimum depth for the building sewer pipe that goes to the septic tank.
That would most likely be grandfathered in. Unless there is a pump, everything relies on gravity and pitch.

Jazzman

Reaction score
I looked up the installation instructions on the Norwesco website and it stated “excavate to a depth that will provide a minimum of 6” and a maximum of 36” cover over the top of the tank”

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here in NC the tank depth is determined by maximum trench depth for a gravity system. Soil conditions, how deep rock is located or water table depth determines trench depth. In some cases the trench depth is very shallow in wet areas or in some cases in a mound. The plumbing has to be held high or a pump tank and pump will be needed. . . . With an existing system you will have to match it up to what is already there if you are keeping the existing drain field.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Code here for the field pipe leach bed dictates everything upstream of it. We are allowed to only dig down 2 feet into existing soil. Then there is 3 feet of base, then the field pipe and another 18 inches of cover. Many rural homes here sit up on a mound and have another very prominent mound that is their leach field.

I wanted the leach bed to be as low as possible and also wanted the first floor of the house to be as low as possible and not have to use a sewage pump, so I put in the leach bed and septic tank before excavating for the house foundation.

From the distribution header to the septic tank, I calculated the minimum pitch to set the tank depth. From the inlet side, I calculated the required pitch for the pipe to the house which determined the elevation for the first floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks