Shutting off water to laundry sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

237user

Reaction score
Hi

I am attempting to replace faucet for the laundry tub in the basement as the current one is falling apart. However, after shutting off the water main supply valve, the laundry faucet does not stop flowing water in both cold and hot. Water is stopped everywhere else as it should be and I flushed all toilets and let sinks flow but laundry faucet doesn't stop. I waited about 10 minutes. I am not sure how to check if the supply valve is separate for the laundry faucet? Unfortunately, the only local shut off valve is near the ceiling connected to the cold water pipe but shutting it down doesn't seem to do anything either. Any ideas where I can look to shut off the laundry faucet?

Thanks,

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Being the lowest part of water supply lines and you're probably draining the water heater and all of the pipes in the home. If you have a water heater separate from your heating system, shut of the cold water to the WH. With the water off open all cold water faucets to allow air into the pipes to drain. Is there no shut off valves at the laundry tub?

237user

Reaction score
Being the lowest part of water supply lines and you're probably draining the water heater and all of the pipes in the home. If you have a water heater separate from your heating system, shut of the cold water to the WH. With the water off open all cold water faucets to allow air into the pipes to drain. Is there no shut off valves at the laundry tub?

Water heater is separate from furnace.

There is a valve on the cold water pipe going into the laundry faucet; however, it didn't restrict the flow which could mean it was still draining leftover water from the other pipes I guess. If I turn off main water supply then wouldn't that automatically turn off cold water to the water heater?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Water can flow out the cold pipe of the water heater and since the faucet is lower than the top of the water heater, the water is probably being siphoned out of it. By shutting off all hot water valves and the cold to the water heater, it will prove that siphoning is the cause. Once the water is drained from the cold water lines, you still need to drain the hot lines and possibly drain the water heater. Be sure the water heater is off so not to cause damage with a dry tank.

If you have copper, PEX or CPVC pipes to the laundry tub, with the water turned off, you can cut the pipe, remove the old valves and slip on a Sharkbite shut off valve. It take just seconds to do. Just use a pail to catch any water.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks