Hot water Stops just to bathtub but not shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
A tenant at one my rental houses called stating that when they turn on the hot water for the bathtubs it will only run hot for a few minutes. They say there is no problem with the hot water while taking shower. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Reach4

Reaction score
The tub spout puts out a lot more gallons per minute (gpm) than the showerhead. It could be that the tub spout exhausts the WH quickly. The WH could just be small, or the WH could have a problem.

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
The tub spout puts out a lot more gallons per minute (gpm) than the showerhead. It could be that the tub spout exhausts the WH quickly. The WH could just be small, or the WH could have a problem.

The WH is 50 is gallons and so is the tub capacity. Renter stated she tried the bathtub when no one had used hot water and still only fills a couple inches before hot water diminishes. Renter also stated that Shower has ran over 15 minutes at 2.1 gpm with no problems (Over 30 gallons). Didn't know if there is a certain solution that applies to volume?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
If the valve is turned for 100% hot water, how fast is the flow, if any? Is that what you mean by diminishes or just that the water runs cold? The anti scalding device inside the valve (cartridge) could be closing off the hot water.

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
If the valve is turned for 100% hot water, how fast is the flow, if any? Is that what you mean by diminishes or just that the water runs cold? The anti scalding device inside the valve (cartridge) could be closing off the hot water.

They say pressure is always good, water just goes cold. One of the bathtubs is a completely new valve, i was wondering if the anti scald on the moen posi temp might be set odd, but they said it only does it with the tub not the shower.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Maybe there is a cross flow at a single handle faucet? Maybe the cartridge in the new valve was not pushed all the way into the valve etc. Did the problem start about the time the new valve was installed? A gasket could be missing etc. What other plumbing repairs have been done recently?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
They say pressure is always good, water just goes cold. One of the bathtubs is a completely new valve, i was wondering if the anti scald on the moen posi temp might be set odd, but they said it only does it with the tub not the shower.

While the tub is running cold, run the hot water at the sink. If the water is hot then it is a cartridge problem. Since the water flow rate is different between tub fill and shower, the anti scalding spool is reacting differently for some reason.

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
Maybe there is a cross flow at a single handle faucet? Maybe the cartridge in the new valve was not pushed all the way into the valve etc. Did the problem start about the time the new valve was installed? A gasket could be missing etc. What other plumbing repairs have been done recently?
It did start when the new shower was installed, but they say it also does it on the other bathtub in the house.

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
It did start when the new shower was installed, but they say it also does it on the other bathtub in the house.
Replaced the lines to the shower with Pex and put in shut off valves. Just odd because the other bathrub they stated does the same thing so i think it may be something further down the line?

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
While the tub is running cold, run the hot water at the sink. If the water is hot then it is a cartridge problem. Since the water flow rate is different between tub fill and shower, the anti scalding spool is reacting differently for some reason.
Ill try that. I had them check the other bathtub and they stated the same thing happens. They said the shower continues to work well and there is hot water everywhere else.

Adam Spieker

Reaction score
Its a gas WH. Could it be anything with that?
I just purchased the home in October and have a year Home Warranty, I'm just trying to see if I can diagnose or at least pinpoint if its the shower of the WH. Just odd they said it was both bathtubs in the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks