Failing PEX Tee

Users who are viewing this thread

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
My 5 year old PEX with stainless steel crimps joints are failing in two ways. One is the center of the “T” is forming a white crusty area. Two is some joints where the PEX is crimped with the rings is starting to seep a very small quantity of water that’s not quite dripping but is visible and will wet a paper towel. I’m on a well 350 ft deep drilled 2 years ago and the water tests were all good
There is a water softener and I use potassium not salt in brine tank. Why after 5 years are these fittings failing and those are the ones in the basement that are visible. The second floor has two full bathrooms and I’m very worried they may fail catastrophically and flood my house. What’s the fix ? If it’s replace fittings can I remove and reuse the PEX to re crimp the new fittings? Some runs there is no slack. Is this common? PEX and fittings were bought on line and big orange box stores. Help. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
I am not a plumber, and the only PEX connections I have used is expansion F1960.

Is your tool calibratable? https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/6d/6d95fa4c-70da-4242-87eb-01ed91bdcdcd.pdf

If not, I would try another tool and re-pinch the same clamps. Just because I would try it, that doesn't make it proper.

Are your fittings brass or plastic? If plastic, do they have a mold mark on the barbs? I don't know if any have a mold mark, but I would avoid them if I saw them.

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
I am not a plumber, and the only PEX connections I have used is expansion F1960.

Is your tool calibratable? https://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/6d/6d95fa4c-70da-4242-87eb-01ed91bdcdcd.pdf

If not, I would try another tool and re-pinch the same clamps. Just because I would try it, that doesn't make it proper.

Are your fittings brass or plastic? If plastic, do they have a mold mark on the barbs? I don't know if any have a mold mark, but I would avoid them if I saw them.
The fittings are brass no plastic
The online purchase was from supply house. Com. No numbers or names on fittings. Can’t find paperwork on purchase 5 years ago.

Bob Y.

Reaction score
Hello,

These are the main reasons why I WILL NOT use PEX water lines. I DO NOT TRUST THEM. PEX lines tend to also get brittle, and I have known PEX lines to rupture.

My advice is to replace all of the water lines with tried and true heavy-wall COPPER water pipes. Copper lines should last 100 years or more. Please note that all copper pipes that are exposed to extreme cold weather should be covered with foam pipe covering or pipe wrap. You should keep all city water pressure coming in between 65 and 70 psi by using a water pressure regulator.

I know that you do not want to hear that all of your water pipes need to be replaced. This is the very best fix that you could do.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Bob

Rman

Master mechanic
Reaction score
Hello,

These are the main reasons why I WILL NOT use PEX water lines. I DO NOT TRUST THEM. PEX lines tend to also get brittle, and I have known PEX lines to rupture.

My advice is to replace all of the water lines with tried and true heavy-wall COPPER water pipes. Copper lines should last 100 years or more. Please note that all copper pipes that are exposed to extreme cold weather should be covered with foam pipe covering or pipe wrap. You should keep all city water pressure coming in between 65 and 70 psi by using a water pressure regulator.

I know that you do not want to hear that all of your water pipes need to be replaced. This is the very best fix that you could do.

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Bob
Are you saying what I think you’re saying?!?! A complete 3 1/2 bath two story 5 year old home a complete copper repipe. Holy Sh@t the destruction and repairing could be up to what $75-100K. What a financial nightmare
All the time spent reading asking investing in using Pex was BS
What about all the information that Pex is used in other countries for over 50 years without incident. Was that written by the companies that manufacture the products
A lot to take in and figure out the best solution. My stupid family says you have insurance stop worrying. Don’t want to come home to a swimming pool and our life shattered. Senior citizens don’t have deep pockets now
Built my retirement home to have peace of mind and now this. Crazy

Gsmith22

Reaction score
Not sure of the timing of purchase/install, but there were brass dezincification issues with fittings used in PEX but that might have been 10+ years ago. Since you are on a well, do you have low pH/aggressive water that could be rotting the brass fittings? all PEX is not created equal - expansion PEX is the way to go (Uponor) but that ship has obviously sailed for you. PEX tubing itself is essentially immune to anything water can throw at it. fittings are the weak spots - I use plastic fittings if available over brass fittings. Bob Y. seems to be describing what happens to CPVC water piping and not PEX

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Not sure of the timing of purchase/install, but there were brass dezincification issues with fittings used in pex but that might have been 10+ years ago. Since you are on a well, do you have low pH/aggressive water that could be rotting the brass fittings? all pex is not created equal - expansion pex is the way to go (uponor) but that ship has obviously sailed for you. Pex tubing itself is essentially immune to anything water can throw at it. fittings are the weak spots - I use plastic fittings if available over brass fittings. Bob Y. seems to be describing what happens to CPVC water piping and not pex
Could be describing poly b too

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks