800ft low flow well

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbStuff

Reaction score
Hello everyone. First post here. Just bought some property with a well on it and I'd like to get some thoughts so I know a bit of what I'm talking about before I engage the contractors for quotes.

The well is fairly deep at 800 feet, but I notice the drawdown test had the pump at only 160 meters, or 525 feet. Should my well pump ideally be placed lower than that? From what I'd read that starts to get into galvanized pipe territory (needing replacement every 15-20 years or so). Would a continuous poly line at 600 feet be a better option for longevity and cost?

I'm also interested in thoughts about cistern sizing. Our water use is about 8000-12,000 gallons per month, which could mean the pump working up to 12 hours a day @0.5gpm. Is this even sustainable for the well?

Luckily we probably won't have to put that stress on it, but I'm curious. We'll be doing a rainwater system aswell, from which we'll be able to harvest an average of 3000 gallons per month, which we could add to if needed. Dry summer months would be around 1000 gallon while wet months would be around 5000 gallon and up to 12,000 if we get a really wet one. I'd like to be able to store some of this water for summer when we'll need it, if the well won't be able to keep up with demand.

Are there specific pumps meant for deep (high pressure) but low flow wells? Is smaller diameter poly (therefore with higher pressure rating) available for deep low flow wells?

Attached well info
Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• well drawdown.jpg
    well drawdown.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 156
  • well info.jpg
    well info.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 152
  • well recovery.jpg
    well recovery.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 168

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't see any mention of casing diameter. The diameter is one factor that determines how many gallons of storage there is in the well. The pump depth is the other factor. One does not normally pump at the .6 GPM rate mentioned for 12 hours but rather at whatever GPM the pump will do (restricted by a dole valve) until the water level in the well is depleted. A dole valve is likely needed to prevent upthrust if/when the static water level is high.

Reach4

Reaction score
I think IGPM is imperial gallons per minute. So 0.6 IGPM would be 0.72 US GPM. Still a slow rate.

Maybe they had some kind of constant displacement pump.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The casing is 6".
Each foot of casing holds a little more than one gallon. At 400 gallons per day, you might get by with just using the casing for storage.
One month is around 43800 minutes. If the well produces .6 GPM, that is around 26,280 gallons per month or 876 gallons per day. You may not need to collect rain water unless you want to for irrigation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks