Moentrol, Help identify Moen single-handle shower part. Is it replaceable?

Users who are viewing this thread

kriebz

Reaction score
I just bought a house built in 1995. All of the showers use Moen posi-temp valve bodies and metal singe-handle controls. They look like a medium-high end trim, and use an escutcheon with a protruding tab retained by a metal two-part cover over the extension, not the sheet-metal tube I see in every example I've seen online. The stop tube/extension body is black plastic piece with a metal bracket bonded to it at the back, and that's the part that I need to replace. It's cracked at the back where it bonds to the metal bracket, and cracked at the front where the top lug of the metal handle adapter levers on it.

It may be that the best path is to replace the whole extension and handle assembly with a different style, possibly replacing the cartridge while I'm in this far. I'm going to try calling Moen tomorrow.

image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a Moentrol valve not a Positemp. The trim you have is Danco fit-all trim. It would probably be best to reinstall original Moen trim. The link shows all of the Moen trims for your valve. The escutcheon shown is Danco. You can see it is identical to yours.

moentrol-exploded.jpg

index.php

kriebz

Reaction score
Excellent. Yes, it's a cheap off-brand trim, I was hoping it had the part I needed, but it doesn't. I don't need to replace the trim at all.

So the valve / fixture looks like a LEGEND® MOENTROL®, but the current manuals for these show the bent sheet metal stop tube with a protruding lateral ridge, and a matching notch in the escutcheon, which is retained with two screws. Mine works nothing like this. I'll try to take some more pictures later. I need to know if the black plastic part is replaceable, or if not, if the new style is boltable to my valve body.

kriebz

Reaction score
The valve with the extension removed.

image5.jpeg

The solid metal two-piece telescoping extension cover that retains the escutcheon and the escutcheon itself, right side up, with the protrusion at top dead center, and no screw holes.

image6.jpeg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
This is a Posi-Temp valve

moen_posi-temp.jpg

There is no adjustment for volume. You rotate counterclockwise to get hot water.

The Moentrol pulls out for volume, and twist left for hot and right for cold.

What was the handle like on your trim? It may be one that is no longer available.

index.php

Moentrol

moentrol-in-wall.jpg

Last edited:

kriebz

Reaction score
It looks just like a Moentrol Legend, with a metal lever handle. Pulls on, pushes off, turns for temp. Works just as Moen's site describes a Moentrol, except it was no longer shutting off all the way. Under the handle is a cast metal piece that has a soft plastic part in the middle, which screws through an extension into the valve stem, to give the two-axis connection. A lug on the metal piece rides in a groove in the black plastic part, which is now cracked, so it wasn't levering very well. Here's all of the other parts of the thing that I haven't shown.

image7.jpeg

Dr.V

Reaction score
I need the same part. My shower wouldn't shut off and leaking awful. I replaced the cartridge, then noticed the stop tube/extension had some "give" as I reattached the extension cover, then discovered the crack. Mine is in the back right by the bracket. Did you find it?
I'm unemployed right now, and really can't afford a plumber and whole new faucet.

kriebz

Reaction score
Moen says they don't make them any more, and since I'm not the original home owner, I can pound sand. Buy it for life my sweaty plumber crack.

OK, my work-around for a few weeks was to remove the handle and gently tap the tip of the valve stem extension with a rod and small (tiny. love taps.) hammer.

I was able to install the Danco trim, which should be in the $45 range at home stores, but it does *not* lever, you have to pull the handle straight out for on/off, no matter if you install the handle or the crystal clear knob thing. Oh well. It also doesn't work on one shower that was installed incorrectly with too much backspacing from the surface of the stall to the valve. I don't know if the real Moen part will work, either. I haven't worked up the nerve to drop $110 on the real replacement. Need to refurbish a stuck balance spool on my other shower first.

So, you can replace this style with the new style, but it's like 8 parts that need to be swapped, the whole trim kit, since it works totally differently. All that nice expensive metal in the scrap bucket. The generic trim kit will work as long as the valve body is correctly positioned relative the the shower wall. The Moen trim kit will probably be better, especially if have the lever type, but if you have the "tacky crystal acorn" knob, it seems "good enough".

Also, if you rig a valve stem extension and a handle, just know there is no turn stop in the valve body, so it sill work, but you'll have to eyeball where the temp scale would be... and you're on your on your own for keeping water out of the wall. I'll try to remember to post some pics the next time I work on this, which should be soon.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Last edited:

Dr.V

Reaction score
Well, screw me then. In true woman fashion, I reattached the tube stop loosely with some tape on the threads (to not "open" the crack) and super glued it in place, so it won't rotate tighter or looser. It works ok, but it leaks from the handle when on, probably into the wall. Guess I know what my tax refund is going to...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks