Recommendations for iron treatment 7.4ppm. Filox, Katalox lite?

Users who are viewing this thread

JoshSter

Reaction score
Hello -I'm looking for recommendations on treatment for well water with high iron.

Well output: 9.5 gpm
Laboratory test results:
Hardness: 25 gpg
Iron: 7.4 mg/l
Manganese: .345 mg/l
PH: 7.5
Tannins: .5 mg/l
TDS: 373 mg/l

I am replacing a 1.5 cf greensand filter that never really worked well. It never took care of 100% of the iron and smell in the water. It's 8 years old now.

I already have a 2.5 cf softener I use after that which is still working well.

So far most of the recommendations I have gotten include chlorination followed by a retention tank then a 1.0 cf pro-ox/filox or 2.0cf katalox lite. Is one of these better than the other for these conditions?

Are there any other options I should be looking at. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank You!

Reach4

Reaction score
So far most of the recommendations I have gotten include chlorination followed by a retention tank then a 1.0 cf pro-ox/filox or 2.0cf katalox lite. Is one of these better than the other for these conditions?
The gpm available for backwashing becomes important for both of those.

I have not checked, but I would think the backwashing gpm for 8 inch diameter filox may be similar to 12 inch KL. Filox is heavy. Looks like about 10 to 12 gpm for the KL I would think. Anyway, no sense considering ideas that your pump won't do.

That said, there are controllers that can deliver the higher backwash with water from the pressure tank. To do that, they can backwash in time segments. The pressure tank may not have enough water to begin with, but after the first, the pressure tank will be full up and ready to deliver high flow water for the upcoming segment(s).

index.php

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
The gpm available for backwashing becomes important for both of those.

I have not checked, but I would think the backwashing gpm for 8 inch diameter filox may be similar to 12 inch KL. Filox is heavy. Looks like about 10 to 12 gpm for the KL I would think. Anyway, no sense considering ideas that your pump won't do.

That said, there are controllers that can deliver the higher backwash with water from the pressure tank. To do that, they can backwash in time segments. The pressure tank may not have enough water to begin with, but after the first, the pressure tank will be full up and ready to deliver high flow water for the upcoming segment(s).

index.php

Do add drain valve after the contact tank and after the media tank. This lets you measure residual chlorine. I don't know how effective KL is in removing chlorine or H2O2, which is an alternative for injection instead of chlorine.

For injection, you can have proportional injection pumps that vary the rate of injection to match the flow. That is the better way. With a fixed-rate pump, you need to inject before the pressure tank, and that precipitates stuff in the pressure tank.

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you know any specific controllers off hand with this capability?
XTR2, such as on the Fleck 5810XTR2.

That is the one I know.

Typically a pressure tank holds about 1/4 of the nominal capacity.

JoshSter

Reaction score
Ok. Are you saying that the 1.0 cf pro-ox/filox or 2.0cf katalox lite are unlikely to work with the well pump capacity, or there are more options if I use a controller with the time segment capability? Most places that sell Katalox Lite say 5 or 7 GPM backwash for a 12" tank diameter and 7 GPM for Filox in an 8" diameter tank.

Would I be better off getting 2 1.0cf katalox tanks in parallel and regen them on different days?

Reach4

Reaction score
Ok. Are you saying that the 1.0 cf pro-ox/filox or 2.0cf katalox lite are unlikely to work with the well pump capacity, or there are more options if I use a controller with the time segment capability? Most places that sell Katalox Lite say 5 or 7 GPM backwash for a 12" tank diameter and 7 GPM for Filox in an 8" diameter tank.

Would I be better off getting 2 1.0cf katalox tanks in parallel and regen them on different days?

Check https://www.watchwater.de/katalox-light-iron-manganese-and-hydrogen-sulfide-removal/ including the brochure. That is the manufacturer. Note that until the brochure, backwash water temperature is not taken into a account. The first page says 10 to 12 gpm per sqft is enough for backwash. That seems maybe ok in cold places, but I think it would be significantly below optimum in California. Even in MN, 12 gpm/sqft seems low when you work through the bed expansion graph, but may be adequate. I am not a pro. I just worked through the numbers.

Most systems don't backwash in segments, so the backwash they can do is pump-limited.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
XTR2, such as on the Fleck 5810XTR2.

That is the one I know.

Typically a pressure tank holds about 1/4 of the nominal capacity.

Check out RO tanks instead of well pump tanks, these typically have twice the capacity of a well tank since they are basically the same but with a much larger bladder. Also, drop the pressure in the tank to 5-10 PSI of air pressure. Not recommended on well tanks since it will stretch the internal bladders.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Katalox Light with an RO pressure tank... use the Vortech tank which will help. H2o2 injection instead of chlorine, controlled injection with a meter is critical.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks