Is my Well pressure switch wired right?

Users who are viewing this thread

JOE.G

Reaction score
Hi, Today I decided to clean out the tube that the Well pressure switch is connected to ( Completely clogged not sure how it was working ) and I cleaned up the switch.
I have a Sta - Rite SK 2 switch which I adjusted to be a 40/60. I also have a 1/2 HP 230 Volt well pump.

Now I have had no problems but my wiring does not seem to be like anything I have seen on the net.

The first pic is of my cover
2nd is my switch
3 and 4 are samples off the Net.
Mine is wired 2 out side posts to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker and the middle wires go to my Pump.
I did attach wires better when I put it back together.

Attachments

• Cover.jpg
    Cover.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 363
  • Mine.jpg
    Mine.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,073
  • Sample.jpg
    Sample.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 497
  • Sample 2.jpg
    Sample 2.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 639

Reach4

Reaction score
Mine is wired 2 out side posts to a 2 pole 20 amp breaker and the middle wires go to my Pump.
That would be correct.

Your white wires are hots, so you should color the white near the end of the insulation. You can use a Sharpie marker.

JOE.G

Reaction score
Okay so mine is right? I could switch the two power wires ( White and black from breaker box ) with each other and also switch the two motor wires ( White and Black center wires ) with each other and it would be fine?

Why do the pictures I took from the net have black with black and white with white? It appears they dont have the motor hooked to both center screws which the label says they are for the motor.

I am trying to learn and I thank you guys for the help

Reach4

Reaction score
Okay so mine is right?
Correct = right.

I could switch the two power wires ( White and black from breaker box ) with each other and also switch the two motor wires ( White and Black center wires ) with each other and it would be fine?
Yes, but you could also just do one or the other. Maybe put both blacks on the left, or the right. Then you would have black with black and white with white. It would work the same, but look better. One advantage to that is there is no way to mess things up that way, where we really could not tell, without your words, that you did not do it wrong.

It appears they dont have the motor hooked to both center screws which the label says they are for the motor.
Electrically, you could change 1 with 2 or 3 with 4 and it would work. But it seems that it is a convention to put the wires from the breaker on the outside.
So how about you switch 2 with 3, and everybody is happy.

JOE.G

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the replies, Reach you are saying I could put the motor leads on the outside terminals and the power leads on the inside and it would still work? Not that I am going to just trying to learn. Thanks

JOE.G

Reaction score
What are the difference between these Square D Switches, One is a 40/60 the other 2 are 30/50 I think one of them has adjustable pressure spreads and the others are fixed? Does it matter which I get as they are adjustable between 30/50 and 40/60?

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000IJS...olid=3OBL8NP2K85GE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0002YS...olid=3OBL8NP2K85GE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000IJW...olid=3OBL8NP2K85GE&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Am I better off getting one with out low pressure cut off?

Reach4

Reaction score
Am I better off getting one with out low pressure cut off?
Often. Will your well potential run dry?

The deal is that this is not a sure-fire cutoff when the well runs dry, because your pump might be pumping a mix of air and water for a long time. There are electronic devices that are much more sure. But the low pressure cutoff switch is cheap.

I did not look at your links.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The deal is that this is not a sure-fire cutoff when the well runs dry, because your pump might be pumping a mix of air and water for a long time...
The well could run dry while the tank is refilling and the water is no longer used. If it is a jet pump, then most likely there is a loss of prime already so it is not likely to recover without human intervention. The pressure will not drop to the cutoff if there is no water used until after the pump heats up and melts the plastic pipe or the seal in it blows.

If ever you can draw the water faster than the pump can supply it, it will nuisance trip. Same thing if there is a power failure and water is used. Every time it happened to me, I was not at home and I would have to explain to the wife how to hold that lever "just so" to get the pump to run and keep holding it "just so" until the pressure returned above the cutoff.

JOE.G

Reaction score
I am not sure if I would draw the pressure down lower then the pump can supply, What pressure does it trip it at?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks