Previous owners converted shallow well pump to deep well pump?

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert Gordien

Reaction score
I bought this cabin 3 years ago and starting to take notice of what the pump room anatomy is exactly.
the original desc. of the well installation in 1955 never mentioned how deep the well is. The well pump is a deep 2 pipe system but looks like a injector at the floor level. Was this standard or legal or did the owner just convert because he only had this on hand sometime between? Thanks for your thoughts.

Attachments

• Piping to Pump.png
    Piping to Pump.png
    53.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Injector Vavle.png
    Injector Vavle.png
    56.8 KB · Views: 333
  • pump anatomy.png
    pump anatomy.png
    59 KB · Views: 1,125

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes two pipes go down into the well but with a small casing, there is only one pipe going down and there is a packer ejector that seals the casing so it uses the casing instead of another pipe. That is what it looks like you have. It is a deep well set up.

Reach4

Reaction score
This illustrates what Smooky described:
index.php

There can be a tailpipe extending down below the leathers that could be as much as 35 ft. The tailpipe could draw water reliably 25 ft below the ejector/jet.

Robert Gordien

Reaction score
Thank you so much all for your professional advise, my tank is leaking and plan to replace that this spring and eventually get to the pump when it fails at which I'll have a professional perform.

Robert Gordien

Reaction score
"Special" in what way? Home Depot 16 gallon? Should I be concerned about something here? I'm a DIY and know little about wells but looks like something I can handle.
I welcome suggestions?
I know that the vacuum valve will go away and I'll just seal off the the pump connection..correct or am I'm in over my head?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
"Special" in what way? Home Depot 16 gallon? Should I be concerned about something here? I'm a DIY and know little about wells but looks like something I can handle.
It appears it is a "conventional" tank. One with no diaphragm or bladder. It is smaller than those usually are. You seem to have an AVC with a tube going somewhere, but I could be misinterpreting the photo.

Usually with a conventional tank, something puts air into the water flow. The AVC releases the excess. If you put in a tank with a captive air precharge, you could end up with a bunch of air blasting out of your faucets upon occasion. You might post photos that show the tank and suspected AVC better.

Home Depot 16 gallon?
All of the HD tanks I have seen are painted. Doesn't mean they don't have galvanized conventional tanks.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a regular diaphragm type tank with a jet pump. Just remove the AVC Air Volume Control. On jet pumps the AVC injects air into the tank, and you don't need that with a diaphragm tank. Then you can use a PK1A on the pump like the picture and have much stronger pressure and a longer lasting pump system.
PK1A with jet pump not cropped.jpg

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I will post better pic's when I get up there next week, I am considering ''Valveman" suggestion also.

If you don't like the PK1A for any reason we will take it back and refund your money. I don't think you will find any other company so confident in their product as to offer 100% of your money back like we do. Been doing this for 27 years and never got one back from anyone who tried it and saw how it works. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks