Navien NPE-180A, loud humming

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakester

Reaction score
We had a Navien NPE-180A installed almost 5 years ago and recently it started making a loud humming / whining noise when the hot water is used, could the heat exchanger be doing this?

Another question this time I would like to do the system flush myself and was wondering if there is any benefit of using cleaning vinegar which is 6% instead of the 5% while vinegar?

Reach4

Reaction score
Another question this time I would like to do the system flush myself and was wondering if there is any benefit of using cleaning vinegar which is 6% instead of the 5% while vinegar?
Interesting question. Not only stronger, but a bit cheaper. Should I use it when I sanitize my well some time? I already bought 2 gallons of food white vinegar for under $5 for the pair. Should you worry because it does not have food certifications? I have no answer for you, but I am glad that you brought this up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Cleaning-Vinegar-6-1-gal-Jugs/21570071

I expect that instead of "Heinz Cleaning Vinegar 6 - 1 gal Jugs" the descriptions should read
"Heinz Cleaning Vinegar 6% - 1 gal Jug"

Last edited:

Jakester

Reaction score
Just wanted to update my experience. I ran 3 gallons of Heinz Cleaning Vinegar (6% acidity) through the system for 2 hours and now the water heater is back to being quiet just like when it was new.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks