Sink backup

Users who are viewing this thread

Gary smith

Reaction score
We have a 5 yr old home. We had a RO system installed this past year and now whenever we use the garbage disposal the sink without the disposal will eventually allow water to flow up into the sink. I have taken apart the drain and have found material from the disposal clogging the drain section that the RO drains into. This may simply be the lame disposal not chopping up properly after 5 yrs and this is just a coincidence or the RO drain has been improperly installed. Please see attached photos

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 127
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 138

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sometimes when a disposer get older it does start to chop into bits that are too large.
Those sometimes get caught up in the baffle tee.

Mliu

Reaction score
The RO discharge line is connected to the drain via a saddle fitting. Is it the self-piercing type? If so, then the piercing "spike" is now protruding into the drain. This can catch solid waste and impede flow down the drain.

One way to test if your RO connection is the problem is to turn off your RO, remove the saddle fitting, tape the hole in your drain pipe, and see if that solves your problem. If the RO saddle fitting is self-piercing, see if you can cut off the "spike" so it doesn't protrude into the drain.

Saddle fittings are generally bad, and self-piercing saddle fittings are horrible. I would never use one. But the installer should have placed it in the tailpiece above the slip-joint coupling of the tee-fitting.

Gary smith

Reaction score
The RO discharge line is connected to the drain via a saddle fitting. Is it the self-piercing type? If so, then the piercing "spike" is now protruding into the drain. This can catch solid waste and impede flow down the drain.

One way to test if your RO connection is the problem is to turn off your RO, remove the saddle fitting, tape the hole in your drain pipe, and see if that solves your problem. If the RO saddle fitting is self-piercing, see if you can cut off the "spike" so it doesn't protrude into the drain.

Saddle fittings are generally bad, and self-piercing saddle fittings are horrible. I would never use one. But the installer should have placed it in the tailpiece above the slip-joint coupling of the tee-fitting.
I wanted to clarify what I said via email. I Hadn’t done what you recommend and did so just now. No issue! It seems that the RO line is blocking just enough disposal bits that it clogs the Baffle tee. I have attempted to pull it out of the drain just enough so it will not leak. This may work however I will need to play with it until it’s in far enough not to leak and shallow enough to allow all the disposal bits by it. Thanks very much!
Cheers
Gary

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Try placing some O-ring(s) over the spike to pull it away from the drain tailpiece and provide a seal.

Mliu

Reaction score
I would cut the spike short with a utility knife (or plastic) or a hacksaw and then reattach the saddle tightly. That way you don't have the spike to catch food and you won't have a leaking saddle. The long spike is no longer necessary because the drain pipe is already pierced. Just leave enough of the spike remaining so that it just reaches through the wall of the drain.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
There is NO "spike" nor are there any "self tapping" RO drain saddles. Theuy ALL require a hold drilled in the drain line, although the tube can be inserted too far into the drain line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks