Toilet Seals - wax or waxless

Users who are viewing this thread

Jakester

Reaction score
Our upstairs toilet started leaking at the toilet seal and the only way we found out is because we noticed water downstairs ceiling. The current seal is a wax seal. Toilet was installed pretty solid but it did have seems because floor isn't 100% perfect.

The flange sits about 1/4 below the surface of the floor so I will add a 1/4" spacer to make it flesh with the tile surface.

What is the professionals take on waxless seals like Sani Seal? What seals do you guys recommend and what seals should I stay away from? I was going to use a Sani Seal because they are easy to install with but afraid of long term reliability.

Also I see a lot of hate for wax rings with horn's, are they really that bad?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com

I would not use a spacer on top of the flange. It's better to either stack two wax rings or use the Saniseal with that.
When I stack, it's one regular wax ring down with a horn wax over that, and then drop the bowl down.
It's important that you check and place shims before doing anything with the wax. Place the bowl down first, shim if needed, lift bowl, drop wax, drop bowl.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The SaniSeal is fairly new. So far so good. It works with the flange a little lower.
The spacer can be used if it's raising the flange and not stacked on top.

Jakester

Reaction score
In the video that you posted you guys are using a wax ring with the funnel, is that better than just regular wax ring?

Another question when do you know you need to use a large/jumbo wax ring instead of the regular?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the flange is higher than the finished floor, it sets on the floor, then one ring works.
If the flange is lower, I stack two wax rings, with the wax with horn on top. Or you can use a deep wax there. Been doing it that way for 46 years and counting.

Jakester

Reaction score
I total understand what your saying, but the video you posted looks like you guys used only one wax ring with the funnel / horn so that is why I asked or maybe I didn't see it right in the video.

Jakester

Reaction score
If I get my flange flat even with the floor I should just use one regular wax ring or one larger ring? Stacking two might be too much there.

Sorry for all of these questions, I just want to make sure I get a leak free seal, because by the time I see the leak it is already doing damage to the subfloor and downstairs.

Taylorjm

Reaction score

Jakester

Reaction score
I haven't installed many toilets but in the last 10 years I put 5 in my houses using these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-3-in-PVC-Wax-Free-Toilet-Seal-FTS-3/203349071

I even removed one of them to replace the floor and put it right back on. No leaks, they feel good and tight when they sit down and seal. That's the style I'm going to continue to use. I've been very happy with them.

I never seen these in person (none of the stores in my area carry them) but I've heard mixed reviews about them, people say they seem to leak because the glue loses its stickiness.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
I never seen these in person (none of the stores in my area carry them) but I've heard mixed reviews about them, people say they seem to leak because the glue loses its stickiness.

They don't really rely on the glue to maintain a seal. All the glue does is keep it in place while you lower the toilet down. It fits very snug into the flange so it doesn't fall off the toilet where it's making a seal and into the pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks