Can laundry box drain be used as cleanout?

Users who are viewing this thread

E.M.

Reaction score
Probably viewed 100+ photos of laundry box installations and for as many as I have seen where a cleanout is installed on the vent above the washing machine drain pipe tee going into the drain, there are as many that don't show any cleanout at all.

Is a cleanout needed or can you snake the drain from the laundry box drain hole? I foresee some issues snaking down and through the trap, back up and 90 turn into drain pipe, down that length and turn down y fitting into the drain. I know some have reported an issue with going up into the vent instead of down into the drain when a straight tee is used. The total length of this would probably be 8-10 feet as drain is 4 feet away.

And, with the cleanout on the vent above the drain, you would only be using the cleanout to clear the drain, right? How would you get at the standpipe, trap and drain pipe attached to the laundry box? It makes sense that those bits would be gotten to by going down standpipe and, if that's the case, why is a cleanout needed? Thanks
Untitled2.png

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Obviously, you have NEVER had to snake a drain. If you had, you would not even consider going through the trap, much less the rest of the piping, regadless of how long, or short, it is.

E.M.

Reaction score
Obviously, you have NEVER had to snake a drain. If you had, you would not even consider going through the trap, much less the rest of the piping, regadless of how long, or short, it is.
I consider it an honour "NEVER" having to snake a drain. It speaks to both my craftsmanship and cleanliness!!

I thought I was clear that I see going down the standpipe as a problem. Sorry if it wasn't. How about the second question: how is trap cleaned if the clog is there and the cleanout is on the vent? To me, it seems like you have to go down the standpipe, especially with laundry box and buried standpipe. Yes/No?

E.M.

Reaction score
A very small diameter hand snake attached to a drill and finessed correctly will work.
Thanks James. Your answer is using the small diameter snake going down the standpipe, correct? I've had a washing machine in my house for 35 years and I've never had anything clogging up the trap but I've always had it exposed with a cleanout in the bottom. Switching over to a laundry box with buried standpipe has me a bit freaked out (not the installation, but the cleanout aspect). I'm that guy. You know, the one who hopes making a change is for the better but it tends to work out the other way.

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes. Theirs a trick to get through a trap. When you hit the bottom of the p-trap with the snake, Hold the snake in your left hand and push. At the same time bump the trigger on the drill and the snake should walk up the p-trap into the drain. That's how I always get through a floor drain.

Reach4

Reaction score
A medium Brasscraft Drain Bladder should be good if the clog is in the trap or trap arm. If the clog is past the vent, maybe not.

If there is an AAV above the santee, you may be able to unscrew that and clean through that hole.

E.M.

Reaction score
A medium Brasscraft Drain Bladder should be good if the clog is in the trap or trap arm. If the clog is past the vent, maybe not.

If there is an AAV above the santee, you may be able to unscrew that and clean through that hole.
No AAV. Solid vent going up. This is where the cleanout would be needed, I'm sure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks