Shower drain over header

Users who are viewing this thread

Steven JP

Reaction score
Installing a shower in my attic and the drain falls right on the header. I need to figure out a way to raise it up so I can get to one of the joist bays with the drain pipe. What are some good solutions out there.
I've also found some offset quadrant shower bases that put the drain on the front right which would put the drain in a joist bay but they have been available from overseas.
Any ideas would appreciated.

Attachments

• 20200102_201834.jpg
    20200102_201834.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 190
Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A custom pan and a mud set pan are two good options. They make standard preformed pans, but sometimes it's better to relocate the drain rather than try to move major framing.

Locally for me, if I want a ready made pan I can spec out where I want the drain to be. Typically those are cultured marble.
Mud set pans are normally tiled.

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't touch the header, don't even think of it.
However you can move the shower to a different location.

Steven JP

Reaction score
Yeah I've thought about that and that's what it might come to but I dont mind raising the shower so I figure I can make something work. Just looking for some ideas. Although a tile shower would look great and I have done that a shower pan would just be so much easier l especially cause this bathroom wont get used that much. I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Steven JP

Reaction score
Yeah that's why I said the header is there cause I know it's a bad idea to do any kind of modifications to that. This is in an attic and believe me I have tried to plan it somewhere else but this is the best spot. People put showers on concrete slabs all the time so im sure there is a good solution just looking for some outside of the box ideas

Steven JP

Reaction score
I am just using a regular shower base. Like an acrylic or fiberglass one. Honestly the drain can be on the right side of that header not right on top of it but I still need to get to the other side of that header with my drain pipe. Any base I find doesnt have a drain at the front. If I could find one like that I would be on the left side of that header.
I have found some quadrant shower pans that would actually put the drain on the left side of that header and right in the joist bay I need it but I cant find one in the USA . I could do a custom shower pan but I just don't have time to do that.
I think im just going to raise the shower up with 2 by 4 . I can run the p trap in the joists on the right side of the header and then run my drain pipe over the header and down into the joists on the other side. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

Steven JP

Reaction score
Eh. Just got home and layouts the measurements of that pan where I would put it. I think it's to big. 36 in the width is probably the most I should do.
I've also thought about doing a quadrant shower and just raising it with 2 by 4s. Is this a sound idea?

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
If its a 2X8, I am pretty sure you are permitted to drill a 2 3/8" hole in the middle of the header to get the 2" pipe to the other side of the header in the joist bay on the left.
A 2 inch copper pipe could go through an accurate 2-1/4 hole, since the pipe OD is 2-1/8.

Mike Rock

Reaction score
True, but if you can drill a 2 3/8 inch hole, you can get a 2 inch PVC pipe in there since its 2 1/4 inch OD.

Correction, its actually 2 3/8 inch so it would be a tight fit.

But you are actually allowed to drill a hole 1/3 the size of the ACTUAL depth of the joist.
So if the joist is 7 1/2 inch, you can actually drill a 2 1/2 inch hole.

If its 7 1/4 inch , you can drill just a shade over 2 3/8 inch ( 2.42 inches)

Steven JP

Reaction score
The actual size of the header is 7 1/4. Three of them make up the header. I know the rules about joists but I figured screwing with the header is just a bad decision so I have not looked into it that much but technically I guess I can do it. Has anyone done something like this before?

And here in VA you can use 1.5 inch pipe for a shower. I still am scared about drilling such a big hole through that header though.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Drilling through a header is not a great idea, even if allowed, IMHO.

Your best choice is probably either to have a custom pan manufactured, or build yourself one out of mud. If you are considering that, check out www.johnbridge.com that dedicates the whole website on doing things with tile, and showers being a large portion of it.

My preference, if going that way, is to use a sheet membrane like Kerdi. The drain can go anywhere, but usually works best if it is in the middle. A linear drain, though, can easily be placed near an edge.

Is this anywhere you could box in the drain line so you wouldn't need to go through the joist?

Mike Rock

Reaction score
Drilling through a header is not a great idea, even if allowed, IMHO.

Your best choice is probably either to have a custom pan manufactured, or build yourself one out of mud. If you are considering that, check out www.johnbridge.com that dedicates the whole website on doing things with tile, and showers being a large portion of it.

My preference, if going that way, is to use a sheet membrane like Kerdi. The drain can go anywhere, but usually works best if it is in the middle. A linear drain, though, can easily be placed near an edge.

Is this anywhere you could box in the drain line so you wouldn't need to go through the joist?

I agree, not a fan either of drilling through a header, but was just an idea as a last resort.

Boxing out underneath might be a better solution.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks