Softener settings check

Users who are viewing this thread

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do my softener settings look correct? We've got 0.56ppm Iron and 25.46gpg hardness according to a lab test of our well water, and not much else of concern. I verified the hardness with a Hach 5B. The unit is a 2 cu. ft. Fleck 5810 XTR2. It's in a new house that we're not living in yet, so we have no water usage data, but its serving two adults and a baby. I'm using Diamond Iron Fighter salt. I read the brine rate off the sticker.

Thanks,

John

VALVE:
Valve: 5810
Regen type: Softener Meter Delayed
Media Volume: 2 cu ft
Salt Dosage: 6lbs/ft^2
blfc size: 0.125gpm
Capacity: 40000 grains
Hardness: 27gpG
Sensor sensitivity: NA
Day override/time-driven: off
Regen time: 2am
reserve: Weekly reserve

REGENERATION:
Regen flow: downflow 2x backwash
Step 1: Backwash
Time 1: 10 m
Step 2: Draw
Time 2: 120 m
Step 3: backwash
Time 3: 5 m
Step 4: rapid rinse
Time 4: 10 m
Step 5: Tank refill
Time 5: 33 m

RELAY OUTPUT:
Auxiliary 1: off
Auxiliary 2: off

METER:
Meter type: 1.25" turbine
generic: NA
emerg. regen: off

CONTINUOUS FLOW DETECT:
continuous flow detect: off
flow rate: na
duration: na

REMOTE REGENERATION:
Remote signal duration: off

WATER SAVER REGEN:
Water saver regen: off

CHLORINE GEN / LOW SALT:
cl generation / low salt: off
regen interval na

Bannerman

Reaction score
Sometimes indicated on a label located nearby to the brine line connection otherwise, the injector assembly would need to be accessed to view the injector colour.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Colour? :) Color. LOL, sorry, just a little Christmas fun. Have a wondourful Christmas all! (and yes, that was intentional)

Bannerman

Reaction score
I R from Can-A-Da, Eh.

Although some US spellings have become commonplace in this country, in my 'defence', my 'behaviour' continues to include spelling 'colour' with a U, issuing 'cheques', buying gasoline by the 'Litre', and pronouncing 'Z' as 'Zedd'.

Happy Holidays and prosperity in 2020 everyone!

Taylorjm

Reaction score
The only thing I see is your tank refill time seems awful long at 33 minutes. Also, seems like 40,000 grains is pretty low for a 2 cu ft system. I thought 2 cu ft would be much larger, but that's pretty irrelevant. If anything you have an oversized system which wouldn't be a bad thing. I have a 70,000 grains system and my refill time is only 12 minutes. Now chances are you have a float and shut off valve in your brine well, so it's not filling for the whole 33 minutes. Once the float reaches it's limit it shuts off the water flow, so maybe the 33 minutes is irreverent too.

Reach4

Reaction score
The only thing I see is your tank refill time seems awful long at 33 minutes. Also, seems like 40,000 grains is pretty low for a 2 cu ft system. I thought 2 cu ft would be much larger, but that's pretty irrelevant. If anything you have an oversized system which wouldn't be a bad thing. I have a 70,000 grains system and my refill time is only 12 minutes. Now chances are you have a float and shut off valve in your brine well, so it's not filling for the whole 33 minutes. Once the float reaches it's limit it shuts off the water flow, so maybe the 33 minutes is irreverent too.
With a 0.125 BLFC and 6 lb/cuft, I figure 32 minutes of fill. Darned close to 33. I think 40,000 grains is good at that salt amount. The softener is in service during the brine fill time.

A marketer would usually call ransonjd'd system a 64000 grain system.

taylorjm, you may have a 0.5 gpm BLFC. Is your tank a 12" x 52" or 13" x 54" or what?

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
The 33 minute brine refill time was calculated and set automatically by the controller based on the volume of media and salt rate. 40,000 grain is also the calculated capacity based on the salt rate. It's 64,000 grains nominally.

Bannerman

Reaction score
Ditttohead had previously posted a chart indicating the appropriate injector and BLFC restrictor for a Fleck 5810 XTR2 in post #4 in this thread:
https://terrylove.com/forums/index....ecommended-configuration-injector-blfc.81675/

The chart indicates a '0' injector and 0.25 GPM BLFC for a 2 ft3 (12" diameter tank) system. As many settings are automatically configured by the XTR2 controller based on usable capacity, the settings rely on the correct supporting components being installed for the corresponding tank diameter.. Perhaps your control valve had been originally configured for a smaller system initially and so only the DLFC was exchanged with the correct size when the valve was installed on your 2 ft3 system while the BLFC and injector were not exchanged.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
With a 0.125 BLFC and 6 lb/cuft, I figure 32 minutes of fill. Darned close to 33. I think 40,000 grains is good at that salt amount. The softener is in service during the brine fill time.

A marketer would usually call ransonjd'd system a 64000 grain system.

taylorjm, you may have a 0.5 gpm BLFC. Is your tank a 12" x 52" or 13" x 54" or what?

I believe it's a 12x52.

rural_engineer

In the Trades
Reaction score
So, is there a particular downside, in my case, to having the smaller BLFC and injector? Something that I can't compensate for by setting the timing appropriately?

Reach4

Reaction score
So, is there a particular downside, in my case, to having the smaller BLFC and injector? Something that I can't compensate for by setting the timing appropriately?
No, no downside. It allows better granularity.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks