Delta Shower Valve won't go higher than 80 degrees

Users who are viewing this thread

Steve Garson

Reaction score
My contractor built a new bathroom, but we can't get the shower water hotter than 80 degrees, despite a water temp of 120.

I have adjusted the hot limit plastic stop to the max, to no avail. I then removed the cartridge and turned on the water, with shower door closed. The two springs and o-rings popped out and I can now see that the opening for the hot water seems distorted, so I presume the water flow is impeded. Is there any way to fix this? We have yet to take a shower in our new bath! Or are we going to be forced to cut open the wall and install a new rough in valve?

Steve G
Denver, CO

Attachments

• 20191215_123327.jpg
    20191215_123327.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 242

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Does the water start out cool then get hotter? Or the other way around?

Opifex

Reaction score
This looks very similar to my Delta valve. I'm not a professional, but I've done a bit of tinkering with my own valve and cartridge in the past, and it seems unlikely that there is a problem with the valve itself. I'm not sure how an all-metal valve body can become restricted. Do you not get hot water with the cartridge removed?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com

The picture tells me that you did not remove the plastic insert before blowing out the faucet.....

just pull out that whole plastic insert if you have not already.....
their is probably a solder ball or a piece of
gravel wedjed behind the plastic insert........

just do it again without that white plastic insert in the body

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Did the contractor do any soldering on that valve? It kinda looks melted in there, maybe the meltable parts were
not removed before soldering was done? Why isn't contractor addressing this issue?

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Did the contractor do any soldering on that valve? It kinda looks melted in there, maybe the meltable parts were
not removed before soldering was done? Why isn't contractor addressing this issue?

its just a solder ball stuck behind that plastic insert....
take out the plastic insert holding the springs and washers and blast it again....

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
One step in the install instructions that not everyone follows is to turn the water on prior to inserting the cartridge to flush the lines out of any debris that may be in there. Don't always have something, but it could be, and is easy to check...you need two people, one watching, and the second one at the main supply shutoff unless the valve has local in-line valves.

While you have the cartridge out, it should be fairly easy to gauge the relative volume of water out each port...it should be about equal. While you're doing that, you could also check the relative temperature of the supply lines if you run the water long enough.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks