Auger caught on something in toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

Cory Hank

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this question seems idiotic or paranoid.

I recently had water leaking from the base of my toilet due to a clog. Home warranty sent a plumber to clear the clog. He used a 6 ft auger but the auger was stuck in the toilet for a while and he had a very difficult time removing it.

He tugged on the auger very very hard, struggled for about 3~4 minutes, and eventually worked the auger free of the toilet. My toilet is scratched up from the auger, not a big deal since it's just cosmetic.

But the auger getting stuck and very forceful pulling had me thinking the auger's tip got caught on a sewer pipe connection or something.

From what I can see, 3 ft is just enough to go through the porcelain part of the toilet and catch on something in the pipe.

Is it possible that the pipe was damaged? How would I check this? This is on the ground floor of the house, which sits on a concrete slab.

I asked the plumber why it was so hard to pull the auger out and he said it was just a kink in his tool. Don't know enough about sewer pipes to know if it's possible they could've been damaged by this or if I'm just being paranoid.

I'm not blaming him or anything, but just want to know if I need to have anything inspected to prevent sewer leaks or other problems down the line.

Auger looks like this:

upload_2019-11-13_12-33-40.png

My toilet looks like this:

upload_2019-11-13_12-35-6.png

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
The auger gets hung up on the toilet outlet depending on the shape of the head on the auger. It happens all the time. Not a big deal.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks