Pipe nipple connection for hand held shower sprayer

Users who are viewing this thread

DanFL

Reaction score
I'm working on a bathroom remodel and will be installing a Kohler shower valve with output to 2 way transfer value with 2 outputs: 1 to shower head and 1 to hand help sprayer. Both of these will use a standard brass drop elbow. I'm OK on the shower head - the angled shower arm with male threads will extend into the finished wall and screw into that elbow. So the shower head elbow will have a temporary 6" nipple with cap installed for testing, and that test nipple/cap can be easily removed after the finished wall is in place, with enough pipe exposed to attach a pipe wrench.

My question is related to the connection for the hand help sprayer. That uses a small finished elbow (with the nice factory finish) that does not extend into the wall to the drop elbow, and will need a properly size nipple installed in that drop elbow. So if I understand correctly, about 1/2" of that nipple should extend past the finished wall for the connection of that finished elbow for the hand held sprayer hose. That exposed 1/2" of the nipple is all thread, so how do you tighten that nipple down without tearing up the threads, after the finished wall is in? My assumption is, that instead of installing another temporary 6" nipple & cap here, I should attach the properly sized permanent nipple before the finished wall goes in, then cap it for pressure test, and not try to install it after the finished wall is in place. How do you pros usually handle this?

DanFL

Reaction score
OK, thanks. I had not found that thread before. So Terry's advice is to thread them both at the same time. My concern with this method is that I would not be able to see if the connection inside the wall is properly tightened and leak proof. I suppose for the pros who do this all the time, you get a feel for what is properly tightened. Then again, I suppose I have the same potential problem with the shower head arm, and I've never had an issue with installing one of those...

Reach4

Reaction score
So Terry's advice is to thread them both at the same time.
Don't miss the part about figuring out how long the brass nipple should be by using a longer steel nipple temporarily.

My concern with this method is that I would not be able to see if the connection inside the wall is properly tightened and leak proof. I suppose for the pros who do this all the time, you get a feel for what is properly tightened.
You would not want it to be tightened only hand tight, even if you are strong. You need that leverage.

If you use both PTFE tape and pipe dope, the tightening is a bit less critical. I am not a plumber.

Reach4

Reaction score

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
That Stillness shower ell is one of my favorite because of its adjustability.

I use brass even for my test nipples. Steel rusts very quickly and even the water that drips from the test can stain a white grout. Way too much liability for my taste.

DanFL

Reaction score
Hey Tuttles - sorry if this is a dumb question, but regarding the Stillness shower ell, can you explain what you mean "its adjustability"? The threaded outlet for the hose connection is supposed to point down, right? Am I missing some adjustable feature of this fitting?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hey Tuttles - sorry if this is a dumb question, but regarding the Stillness shower ell, can you explain what you mean "its adjustability"? The threaded outlet for the hose connection is supposed to point down, right? Am I missing some adjustable feature of this fitting?

The adjustability comes in the length of the nipple from the Threaded elbow in the wall to the finished surface, tile in most cases. The distance from that elbow in the wall to the finished surface is a fixed point once the tile is finished. Pipe nipples come in 1/2" increments (generally speaking) so if your nipple ends up too long or too short for a Shower Ell you get a gap by the time the threads bottom out(too long) or not tight enough (too short)

That particular shower ell and a few others have adjustablility in that they slip in and out of the escutcheon.

The installation instructions sort of illustrate this. It indicates that after tightening, you would finish by Sliding the trim plate against the wall.

https://www.us.kohler.com/webassets/kpna/catalog/pdf/en/1298772_2.pdf

DanFL

Reaction score
Is a chrome plated brass nipple equivalent in corrosion resistance to a regular yellow brass nipple? I think will need a 3" nipple and the big box stores around here only have the 3" nipples in the chrome plated version for some reason. All other sizes are yellow brass.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as it's a brass body and not steel, the chrome doesn't make any difference except they cost more.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks