Kitchen Waste Line Question

Users who are viewing this thread

OCPlumber777

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'm in the process of replacing the plumbing in my kitchen. I have what appears to be a 2 inch PVC pipe (threaded). (see pic below). A Home Depot rep recommend the use of PVC DWV male connection that screws into the pipe. I then cut the appropriate length of PVC DWV pipe to align with the subsequent connection to the P Trap Fitting to align with the drain. I used an Oatey cement to glue the non-threaded ends together.

I'm leaking water where I made the initial connection to the 2 inch PVC pipe. Should there be a washer/coupling type of connection there or can you recommend a different approach to connecting to the waste line?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_3222.jpg
    IMG_3222.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_3246.jpg
    IMG_3246.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 127

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a picture of the entrance to the wall. It looks like that might be at an angle. If you can sketch, maybe draw a top view, where the disposal looks like a circle. A "Paint" program is better for sketches, or use paper and pencil. Then scan or photograph the paper.

At the wall, there should be a "trap adapter". That connects between the wall pipes and the slip joint type pipe like you have dangling from your disposal.

Your solution might involve rotating the disposal so that the drain points a different direction.

OCPlumber777

Reaction score
Hi Folks - I'm in the process of replacing the plumbing in my kitchen. I have what appears to be a 2 inch PVC pipe (threaded). (see pic below). A Home Depot rep recommend the use of PVC DWV male connection that screws into the pipe. I then cut the appropriate length of PVC DWV pipe to align with the subsequent connection to the P Trap Fitting to align with the drain. I used an Oatey cement to glue the non-threaded ends together.

I'm leaking water where I made the initial connection to the 2 inch PVC pipe. Should there be a washer/coupling type of connection there or can you recommend a different approach to connecting to the waste line?

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_3265.jpg
    IMG_3265.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 130

OCPlumber777

Reaction score
How about a picture of the entrance to the wall. It looks like that might be at an angle. If you can sketch, maybe draw a top view, where the disposal looks like a circle. A "Paint" program is better for sketches, or use paper and pencil. Then scan or photograph the paper.

At the wall, there should be a "trap adapter". That connects between the wall pipes and the slip joint type pipe like you have dangling from your disposal.

Your solution might involve rotating the disposal so that the drain points a different direction.
Hi - yes, the leak appears to between the trap adapter and the nipple going into the wall. Should there be a slip joint or washer there?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
2x for thread tape. Plastic threaded fittings are also very very easy to cross thread, especially on older steel pipe. I like to rotate them backwards until I feel a slight bump when the leading ends of the threads pass each other. At that point I know I'm starting in the correct position.

Reach4

Reaction score
Hi - yes, the leak appears to between the trap adapter and the nipple going into the wall. Should there be a slip joint or washer there?
I don't see that you have a trap adapter near the spot of the leak. Pipes or traps upstream of the trap adapter are not threaded and not glued. It looks like you have ABS cement to the right of your "Adapter" arrow in IMG_3265.jpg. That trap does not seem to be a slip trap, but rather looks like a glued ABS trap. A glued trap can work, but it is harder to align. The slip traps are easy to align or re-align.

Do your photos show the spot of the leak?

OCPlumber777

Reaction score
2x for thread tape. Plastic threaded fittings are also very very easy to cross thread, especially on older steel pipe. I like to rotate them backwards until I feel a slight bump when the leading ends of the threads pass each other. At that point I know I'm starting in the correct position.

That's really good advice. I'll try adding the thread tape and checking to make sure it's not cross threaded

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks