Replacing well pump. Is it time to call a pro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
I've read a lot on here and finally decided to tackle my bad submersible pump today. I was under the impression that my 2 wire pump was only about 85ft down(owned the home for a couple years, never messed with the pump before), and honestly thought it would be worth the savings of doing it myself (or at least trying). Unfortunately,I was wrong.The pump ended up being about 260ft foot down. The pump I bought isn't powerful enough for that (I can return it) and unfortunately while trying to be very careful, the sch80 PVC broke twice at the coupler while pulling it up. I've been looking everywhere for a PVC thread die, but big box stores don't seem to sell them. My plan was to either re-thread and get some brass couplers, and buy a bigger pump, or go for 200psi poly pipe with extended Barb's and a bigger pump. Either way I'm having a hard time finding 200psi poly or a PVC thread die locally. Is it time to call a pro, or is there something I'm missing? I just hate that I worked so hard to pull all 260ft up just to call someone else anyways. I can admit if I was wrong, I just wanted some input from more experienced people. Thanks.

Last edited:

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
A thread die for steel pipe will work on sch80 pvc pipe. You can buy dies for the ridgid drop head pipe dies that are specifically for pvc pipe, but the regular ones will work. A pipe cutter will also give you a square cut.

I use ridgid brand dies, don’t know how well harbor freight ones would work for you. You could rent ridgid dies from a rental yard,

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
Thanks for the input, I may give that a shot. Also, what is the proper way to connect threaded PVC to a brass coupler? Just using plumbers tape?

Reach4

Reaction score
When my well people connected into stainless steel couplers, they applied a pipe dope (pipe compound) with a brush. So I suspect that is as good a way as any.

Some pipe compounds are safe for plastic, and some are not.

Your schedule 80 pipe broke? If you are doing your own well work, you might want to convert to SIDR poly pipe of sufficient pressure rating.

https://www.menards.com/main/search...ryType=allItems&Spec_NominalSize_facet=1+inch

I think some they will ship, and some they will not.

Last edited:

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately due to time constraints I was overruled by the rest of the house (including a 12 week old) and hired a pro. I asked some questions while he was here, and he was more than fair with the price, so it wasn't too bad. I will be more ready next time (hopefully far into the future) with poly pipe and a better idea of what I need to do. Thanks again!

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks for everyone's input. Unfortunately due to time constraints I was overruled by the rest of the house and hired a pro. I asked some questions while he was here, and he was more than fair with the price, so it wasn't too bad. I will be more ready next time (hopefully far into the future) with poly pipe and a better idea of what I need to do. Thanks again!
Good move. One day vs more. I hope you know what the new pump is.

Checking for the water mark on the old pipe tells you the static water level. If you took photos, you may have that info.

Last edited:

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
Good to know, thanks for your help. One last question, after they replaced the pump, the pressure in the house still isn't very good. The pressure gauge in the pump house looks correct, and the hose valve by the well seems to have better pressure than the house. Any suggestions on how to clear a possible clog coming into the house, or if I should have did something after he installed the new pump? I know he said it would smell like chlorine for a few days, and sometimes it does, but he didn't mention a drop in pressure...

Reach4

Reaction score
Did your sanitizing include your plumbing? Did you cycle your pressure tank some times to flush sediment?

And now the biggie: do you have a cartridge filter somewhere?

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
I believe he sanitized the pump, which is why is smells like bleach, but he didn't mention sanitizing the house. And unfortunately I'm not familiar with cycling the pressure tank, so I don't think so. And lastly, I don't have a cartridge filter. I do have a place for one under my house going in, but we never put a cartridge in it because our iron is so bad it causes a drop in pressure after a couple of days.

Reach4

Reaction score
And unfortunately I'm not familiar with cycling the pressure tank, so I don't think so.
That would be turn off the pump. Drain the pressure tank from the drain valve at the bottom of the pressure tank install into a hose. Restore power to the pump. Repeat until you stop getting crud.

So measure the pressure from the house at some places while drawing a bath. Compare to the gauge at the pressure switch. See where the big drop is. You can hook a GH thread pressure gauge to hose spigots, laundry taps, and the drain on the WH.

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
I'll do that with the pump. Also, I'll check the pressure inside, but honestly while your drawing a bath you can't really get water out of any other faucets. You definitely couldn't wash your hands while a bath was running.

Drmoneejd

Reaction score
Just as an update, using the recommended gauge I found the pressure drop was in between the pump house/first hose spigot and the actual pipe coming in under the house. I tried to change the pressure by partially opening the main valve to the house in hopes it would move whatever was blocking in the pipe, hoping it was sort of like putting your thumb over a hose pipe for less water but more pressure. It did it for maybe 5 minutes or so with all sinks open and it actually seemed to work and everything is good now with pressure,and the chlorine eventually dissipated as well. It's nice to have working water again. Thanks

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I tried to change the pressure by partially opening the main valve to the house in hopes it would move whatever was blocking in the pipe, hoping it was sort of like putting your thumb over a hose pipe for less water but more pressure...
I am surprised that worked since it is velocity of flow and not pressure that normally clears a partial obstruction. What I sometimes do to is to introduce air into the water upstream. The air/water mixture moves much faster than water alone.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
What style is the main valve? Perhaps it is apophenia, and fiddling with the valve cleared an obstruction at the valve itself or changed the valve position.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks