Metal Box Extenders Exposed in Unfinished Basement?

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Hey all,
Was wiring up some outlets in my unfinished basement in prep for rough inspection and for whatever reason I miscalculated the space needed in the box. So...since I've already mounted the boxes, run the conduit and wires, I went and added a metal box extender to essentially double the space in the box, from 21 cu in to 42 cu in. Is there any code issue with using these metal box extenders in my unfinished basement?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
That is what they are used for. Just be sure the correct screws are used so as not to pierce a wire and not exceed the number of conductors for its size.

picture.php

Reaction score
I know what they are used for, my question is adding an extender to an already mounted box in an unfinished basement (vs. a finished wall) OK?

Reaction score
The gap has me only slightly concerned. If it were behind drywall...no issues, out in the open however, that is what is concerning me. If I don't really need to worry about it, then I'm good. So that is the question.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks