Clawfoot Tub - Ledger?

Users who are viewing this thread

Scot C

Reaction score
Recently purchased a home with a clawfoot tub that is installed in such a way that you can't really get a shower curtain around it.

The lip of the tub appears to be resting on a 2x4 with a bit of trim attached to it. I think it is just cosmetic but would like some confirmation before I start prying it out of there. Any reason for that to be there other than to hide pipes?

Beyond that they also installed the shower head support in a way that blocks the curtain. Figure that can just move above the curtain rod.

https://imgur.com/a/6aQLD4Q

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If the claw foot tub is supported by the claw feet, then the ledger would not be needed. The tub should have four feet.

clawfoot_2223.jpg

clawfoot_2215.jpg

Last edited:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
That block and board preventing access to the supply valves and other plumbing is just the stupidest thing ever.
Clawfoot tubs are meant to be freestanding, and with exposed plumbing.
Anyway, I see nothing particularly difficult with providing a shower curtain there.
Typically, the curtain is in sections, with improvised closures in the vicinity of obstacles, such as
the wall support shown. Also, typically the curtain goes INSIDE the tub, not outside. A curtain
outside would seem to be worse than useless IMO.

Scot C

Reaction score
Thanks. All four feet are on the ground. Now to figure out how to get the damn board out.

Curtain inside the tub is certainly feasible once the shower head support is moved up. Don't see how water spilling through that gap would be avoided otherwise (in a way my wife wouldn't say is ugly). Now to figure out addressing my wife's need to have a decorative curtain on the outside as well.

Thanks again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks