Radiator Removal - No Coupling

Users who are viewing this thread

Michael Parlapiano

Reaction score
This hot water radiator looks to be piped directly into the system without the usual union or coupling and I have no idea how to remove it without cutting the pipe. Has anyone seen this before and know if there is a way to take it apart? Thanks.
20191009_162358.jpg

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
Anything on the other side of the wall or does the pipe come from the floor inside the wall? Remove the ring from the wall and with a mirror and a flashlight look inside the wall. If there is only an elbow, looks tile you’ll need to cut it. Just leave enough pipe so you can get a pipe wrench on it.

Michael Parlapiano

Reaction score
Just an elbow and then into the floor. I can't figure out how this could have been put together if there isn't a union somewhere. There must have been a trick to doing it this way.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Are you keeping the radiator or scrapping it?

Reach4

Reaction score
Just an elbow and then into the floor. I can't figure out how this could have been put together if there isn't a union somewhere. There must have been a trick to doing it this way.
It is possible that the end of the pipe in the wall has a left-hand thread. As they turn, both ends tighten.

It takes a special procedure to make sure both ends tighten at the same time.

Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I used a left and right nipple and couplings on gas and steam work and even a few times on potable water supply

Reasons
1- Prevents amateurs from taking things apart so they have to call a licensed plumber

2- Less chance of a leak compared to a union

3- Unions are not allowed on gas work prior to the shut off valves

In your case you can call a plumber or rent a Mega press tool and coupling and cut the pipe and then megapress coupling

Or

Cut the pipe open the wall remove the pipe from the female fittings (both sides) get a copper x male adapter and a slip coupling

Or remove the pipe from both ends get two nipples and a union or straight valve with a 1/2 union

The only difference between a hydronic valve and steam is a steam valve is either fully open or fully shut Valve for hot water heating can be throttled and there is a small hole in the cylinder Gate so there is constant circulation to prevent possible freeze up

LEGEND MODEL T-425/S-425 straight circulator valves and straight-way fittings are constructed of heavy duty bronze. They have a male union, provide 100% shut-off and 1/4 turn flow control. For use on forced hot water heating systems up to 60 lbs.

If you cannot get the Legend then the one below will work
bsgv_1000.jpg

Michael Parlapiano

Reaction score
The pipe was left hand threaded on one end. The house was built in 1910 and this is the only radiator that has a direct pipe connection. It is also the only radiator where the pipes come from the wall and not the floor directly - I now suspect that because of the second pipe right above this one there wasn't enough room to fit a regular valve / union there. Thanks for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks