Daisy Chained GFCI's

Users who are viewing this thread

SAS

Reaction score
Last night the outlet in the master bedroom bathroom stopped working. It's a GFCI so I tried resetting it, but that didn't work. I went to bed thinking I would just buy a new one and replace it today, but some time during the night it occurred to me that it might be linked to another GFCI in one of the other bathrooms. So in the morning I checked two of the downstairs bathrooms and discovered that the outlets there were out as well. The first couldn't be reset but the second one could. I then retraced my steps, resetting the other two GFCI's.

I don't think it's a code violation to have them daisy chained like this, but I don't see why you would do it this way. I know that I could change out the downstream GFCI's for regular outlets, but I'm thinking it's easier (and maybe better?) to simply switch the feed at the downstairs GFCI's from the protected side to the line side. That way each GFCI would operate independently. Make sense?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Without knowing what else might be on that line before it gets to the upstairs GFCI, it could leave some receptacles or devices unprotected where they shouldn't be. While maybe less convenient if something trips, you could swap the breaker for a GFCI, and then use regular receptacles. If it's a direct run to the upstairs GFCI, then yes, that works just fine. To find out will take some detective work...disconnect it, and then see what doesn't work. If the only thing(s) are those upstairs, it's okay. If not, probably not.

What you are describing would not be okay today...each bathroom should have its own dedicated circuit. Mine are wired similar to yours, but the upstairs bathroom uses regular receptacles, so no daisy chaining of GFCIs. If I trip it upstairs, I have to go downstairs to reset it, similar to what you may have if you replace the breaker.

SAS

Reaction score
Without knowing what else might be on that line before it gets to the upstairs GFCI, it could leave some receptacles or devices unprotected where they shouldn't be. While maybe less convenient if something trips, you could swap the breaker for a GFCI, and then use regular receptacles. If it's a direct run to the upstairs GFCI, then yes, that works just fine. To find out will take some detective work...disconnect it, and then see what doesn't work. If the only thing(s) are those upstairs, it's okay. If not, probably not.

What you are describing would not be okay today...each bathroom should have its own dedicated circuit. Mine are wired similar to yours, but the upstairs bathroom uses regular receptacles, so no daisy chaining of GFCIs. If I trip it upstairs, I have to go downstairs to reset it, similar to what you may have if you replace the breaker.
All of the bathroom, kitchen and laundry outlets are GFCI, so I don't think any need to be connected to the protected side. I'll trip the GFCI and do some testing anyway, but I think it's safe enough to switch the leads to the line side.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's my understanding that today's code wants a dedicated, 20A circuit for each bathroom. Older versions of the code allowed them to pass that through, but who knows where. The issue often comes up when say a couple of people decide to use something like a hair dryer...one will work, two may overload things and pop the breaker. Play detective, and you'll probably find you'll be okay, but they could have pulled an outlet or light off of that run somewhere else, then it could be a problem.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
To have the convenience of a GFCI at each outlet. Daisy chain the GCFI on the "line" side only. Leave the Load side blank. After you change the wiring, use a GFCI tester to test your work. This is doable as long as any of these GFCI's do not protect other outlets that require GFCI. FYI...GFCI will reset only when power is on the line side.

multiple-gfci-outlet-wiring.gif

Norcal01

Reaction score
It's my understanding that today's code wants a dedicated, 20A circuit for each bathroom. Older versions of the code allowed them to pass that through, but who knows where. The issue often comes up when say a couple of people decide to use something like a hair dryer...one will work, two may overload things and pop the breaker. Play detective, and you'll probably find you'll be okay, but they could have pulled an outlet or light off of that run somewhere else, then it could be a problem.

The required 20A circuit can serve receptacles in other bathrooms as long as they only supply the receptacles, but if they supply the lights, fan(s), then the circuit may only supply that bathroom. But there have been a lot of bathrooms wired prior to that requirement being inserted into the NEC.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks