Searching for my grandma’s super unique toilet:

Users who are viewing this thread

Darci

Reaction score
Hello, you knowledgeable people!

I created an account for this, so please bear with me if my search terms are extremely novice.

My grandmother built her house in 1972. It was very space race: Frigidaire Flair stove, NuTone everything, and a technicolor dreamboat to boot. Her bathrooms were no exception: her toilets were colored porcelain, with deep deep bowls and probably a 5 gallon, slow-whirling, quiet flush. The weirdest part? Two holes, side by side. The intake was about 1 1/2 inches across and the outflow was about 3 inches across.

I doubt they will help, but maybe they will humor: I drew 2 pictures in paint, attached below.

I miss her terribly and I miss her inimitable home as well. I don’t want to buy the toilet, but I do want to see it again. Any chance one of you geniuses can help me with my search? It drives me bonkers that I can’t find it! Thanks so much in advance, y’all!

Attachments

• E53321D8-0C49-4ED8-BCE6-5ADF63D38BAB.jpeg
    E53321D8-0C49-4ED8-BCE6-5ADF63D38BAB.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 233
  • B71FFFBC-42F5-465C-93D6-5721B47D6006.jpeg
    B71FFFBC-42F5-465C-93D6-5721B47D6006.jpeg
    19.8 KB · Views: 234

ToiletEnthusiast

Not a plumber, just a plumbing enthusiast
Reaction score

Could it be either of these? The toilets you're describing, usually referred to as low-boy toilets, were pretty popular in the 60's and 70's, and were made by various companies like Crane, Eljer, American Standard, Kohler, Case, Briggs, and more.

Darci

Reaction score

Could it be either of these? The toilets you're describing, usually referred to as low-boy toilets, were pretty popular in the 60's and 70's, and were made by various companies like Crane, Eljer, American Standard, Kohler, Case, Briggs, and more.

The first one has the most similar flush, but the name Eljer completely jogged my memory. It WAS Eljer, I think! Thank you so much for giving me a direction in which to hunt!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you're looking to buy a new one like it, you're out of luck. Federal guidelines prohibit any new toilet from needing more than 1.6g to flush. Many of the better flushing ones do still have two holes, but they are opposite each other, not side-by-side. The smaller one on those is called a siphon jet and it starts the water moving fast enough to create a siphon that evacuates the bowl.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks