Wet vents

Users who are viewing this thread

orf

Reaction score
I'm about to embark on a bathroom remodel in a 10 x 10-foot room and will need to install a new DWV system. Currently, the only vent in the bath is a 1 1/2" that extends through the roof, I think that is the vent for the sink. The main vent is through the side of the basement wall about 25 feet away. The 4" waste pipe runs directly under the room and is in the middle of it about 5 feet from each outside wall The shower, sink, toilet, and bathtub drain into this pipe. I will be running a new 10' long pipe and drain into each side of it.

My question is if I use 2 "or 3" drain pipe from each trap can I get away without venting each trap individually? Also, I'm assuming that I will need to vent through the roof so where would I install the vent in the 4" line? Would this be at the beginning of the line before anything drains into it or can it be done anywhere along the line? Thanks for the advice.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You will probably HAVE to vent some traps. It all depends on HOW you configure the piping, as does the size and location of the central vent. Just putting a riser "somewhere along the line" and calling it a vent does NOT work.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Generally, you want each trap vented. There are exceptions for those where you can wet vent a bathroom group. One of the issues is the size of the pipes and the distances to the vent, so as was said, it is possible to wet vent a bathroom group, but how it is done is critical for it to function properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks