PEX Question on Remodel

Users who are viewing this thread

alex rodriguez

Reaction score
Question: Am I better off going through the trouble of finding 3/8 PEX fittings? Or should I use an adapter and change the 3ft of pipes closest to the shower to 1/2 and use the standard 1/2 fittings I can find almost anywhere ??

Background!!:
So I recently bought a house in Georgia that uses a PEX manifold system for all the plumbing in the house. They have 3/8 PEX pipes for everything including the upstairs tub, sink, and unfinished shower. I haven’t noticed any problems with water pressure in the downstairs kitchen or bathrooms. Upstairs no problem either, only thing is the tub is a little slow to fill but I’m ok.

The upstairs shower was left unfinished and I’m starting to tackle that and install a stand-alone shower head. There are the hot and cold supply PEX pipes sticking out of the wall waiting for me, both 3/8. I’m having trouble finding 3/8 fittings and have been reading that 1/2 or even 3/4 would be much better to have had, but I’m working with what I got. So my question is am I better off going through the trouble of finding 3/8 fittings? Or should I use an adapter and change the 3ft of pipes closest to the shower to 1/2 and use the standard 1/2 fittings I can find almost anywhere ??

I don’t have a lot of wall I can open up so that’s why I’m not considering changing the whole line to 1/2, just near the shower fixture. I’m worried with it being upstairs that the opening to a larger pipe will cause even worse water pressure issues. Any suggestions?!

Last edited:

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 12.07.00 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 12.07.00 PM.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 124

Reach4

Reaction score
1/2 inch will not cause a loss of water pressure. The biggest advantage to 3/8 is that it lets the hot water arrive sooner. Most people don't use 3/8 for the reasons that you noted-- it costs more and is harder to get. Also it lets you use fewer sizes to use 1/2 for situations even where 3/8 might have an advantage.

However I would not think 3/8 would be good for a tub, because it will slow down the filling vs 1/2.

alex rodriguez

Reaction score
1/2 inch will not cause a loss of water pressure. The biggest advantage to 3/8 is that it lets the hot water arrive sooner. Most people don't use 3/8 for the reasons that you noted-- it costs more and is harder to get. Also it lets you use fewer sizes to use 1/2 for situations even where 3/8 might have an advantage.

However I would not think 3/8 would be good for a tub, because it will slow down the filling vs 1/2.

I’m leaving the rest of the plumbing, but would it cause any issues for me to adapt the 3/8 supply to 1/2 right before the shower valve? Here in the picture I would adapt to 1/2 and then connect the shower valve, head, etc

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 119

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FLow restricted items should work fine with 3/8", but anything that isn't flow restricted already will be if you use that size piping. If you've got long runs, I'd prefer to use a hot water recirculation system to minimize the arrival of hot versus still having to flush the line and throw it away, regardless of the size of the tubing. There's a maximum velocity specified for most types of water supply piping. The actual timing, assuming the outlet can handle the volume, would be the same with 3/8" or 1/2" (or even larger if the valve isn't restricted)...you'd just be wasting more water to flush out the cold before the hot arrives.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/pex-tubing-technical-specs The volume in 1/2" pex versus 3/8" is 184% more at the same velocity. So, as you've seen, filling the tub is slower...the piping can't handle the increased demand. Personally, I would never run 3/8" to a tub/shower or washing machine or hose bib. ALl of those things work better with a higher capacity supply line.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks