Supply duct from furnace hot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Old furnace, is it normal for the supply duct to be hot to the touch within 10-12 feet of the furnace. Seems hot, I can keep my hand on it. Seems if it was 20 or 30 degrees hotter id only be able to keep my hand on it for 10 seconds

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That's somewhat normal for 80% efficiency or lower furnaces, which can have output temperatures at the furnace north of 158F/70C, (pretty toasty!) For condensing furnaces it's usually under 140F/60C, or even under 122F/50C.

Have you tried measuring the temperature? A spot of any non-metallic spray paint on the side of the duct would allow you to measure it with an cheap infra-red thermometer with sufficient accuracy. (Shiny-metallic duct will always read low, sometimes WAY low.)

If the flow is restricted the output air temp rises, and it;s possible that it could be running just below the safety high-limit, which is usually just a snap-disc type breaker/thermostat mounted at the output of the heat exchanger plenum.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks