Adding sink next to washing machine in basement

Users who are viewing this thread

AndyKy99

Reaction score
I have read a lot of threads and I have seen Terry's pic he always posts for this scenario. I found another image online showing something that I believe is allowable for code (from Ontario Plumber's association) so just had a couple of questions. This diagram at bottom shows the sink going directly into stand pipe and both of them sharing the same p trap. Is this acceptable in this scenario? Terry has it tied right into the vent pipe instead of the stand pipe and he always advises to do a separate venting but I don't want to over complicate it. I'll be doing this with my brother so I just want the simplest system that will work and not present problems. I believe that floor piping goes to a drain near my foot. Vertical pipe is 1.5", everything else is 2"

I will be putting the tub to the right in my pic, coming out to the right of that stud and tying in above p trap.

andyky-02.jpg

reg-332-12.jpg

Here is a description for diagram

"1) The size of the trap for the laundry tub which receives the indirectly connected washing machine drain, would be 1 ½” as per Table 7.4.9.3 (item 18) if the tub is less than 3 compartments.

2) If a drain is installed to serve a laundry tub and a standpipe (aka. standing waste pipe) for a washing machine (ie. laundry box), the common p-trap and the piping that serves the stand pipe would require to be min. 2” size as per Table 7.4.9.3 (item 9) See sketch."

Last edited by a moderator:

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is acceptable practice in the area you live then that would be the simplest method. It is not allowed in my area because all fixtures must have their own ptrap. Its not much different than a double compartment sink except some older clothes washers can pump a lot of water.

Of bigger concern to me is that ice maker saddle tap tee that is attached to the pex pipe... That is a ticking time bomb. Even if that is PexAlPex, there isn't enuf structure to the tubing to compress and maintain a seal. In my area, saddle taps are only allowed under the sink or in the exterior of the building.

AndyKy99

Reaction score
Ahhhh. I wasn't even sure what you were referring to but now I know. I believe my father-in-law installed that when he putting in the line for the fridge because there was nothing set up behind the fridge. What would be the best way to correct it? What is the function of it saddle tap?

I have read a lot of threads and I have seen Terry's pic he always posts for this scenario. I found another image online showing something that I believe is allowable for code (from Ontario Plumber's association) so just had a couple of questions. This diagram at bottom shows the sink going directly into stand pipe and both of them sharing the same p trap. Is this acceptable in this scenario? Terry has it tied right into the vent pipe instead of the stand pipe and he always advises to do a separate venting but I don't want to over complicate it. I'll be doing this with my brother so I just want the simplest system that will work and not present problems. I believe that floor piping goes to a drain near my foot. Vertical pipe is 1.5", everything else is 2"

I will be putting the tub to the right in my pic, coming out to the right of that stud and tying in above p trap.

570x760_smart_fit.jpg

13_25.jpg

Here is a description for diagram

"1) The size of the trap for the laundry tub which receives the indirectly connected washing machine drain, would be 1 ½” as per Table 7.4.9.3 (item 18) if the tub is less than 3 compartments.

2) If a drain is installed to serve a laundry tub and a standpipe (aka. standing waste pipe) for a washing machine (ie. laundry box), the common p-trap and the piping that serves the stand pipe would require to be min. 2” size as per Table 7.4.9.3 (item 9) See sketch."

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
The function of a saddle valve is to create jobs for a licensed plumber to make an emergency call when the flood appears

The saddle valve is used to mutilate a perfect sound pipe and cause it to fail

A decent mechanic would have installed a Tee and then a ball valve on the bull of the tree and use adapter fittings such as compression connect the ice maker line

AndyKy99

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply. Since I am going to have to cut and add connections for my waterline to sink I can do this at the same time. I am just wondering about the right connection to connect 1/4 polyethylene to pex. the polyethylene can use compression fiting? I used sharkbite in my last house for dishwasher. However I am having trouble finding a connection that is PEX to polyethylene (maybe I don't know the short form lingo). This kit doesn't seem compatible with PEX. https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sharkbite-ice-maker-install-kit/1000862120 Any product from sharkbite that would work?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
I would unload the plastic water line for the refrigerator or humidifier and replace it with copper or with PEX tubing. I just had a new refrigerator delivered by HD and had them make the ice maker connection. They used PEX tubing. Also, the saddle valve on PEX is not a good way to go. Notice the PEX is deformed. Cut it out and use a Sharkbite 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/4" tee with a valve.

My son bought a house where the clowns that installed the new kitchen put in by the previous owner had this tubing behind the wall up into the attic and down the wall at the new location for the remodeled kitchen. One day he comes home and the wall is full of water. The tubing cracked inside the wall. I used this stuff before since at one time there wasn't much else. I used it between the wall and refrigerator and I was never comfortable with it. I did change it over one day with copper tubing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-...NCXz5JB6-IhGjLL3epcaAikREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

sharkbite-saddle.jpg

AndyKy99

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think it would have been ideal to use PEX in the first place too. That link that you attached, does that work with the existing polyethylene or is that only if I set up a 1/4 PEX line? I am afraid I am home only for another week or so and then I have to leave for almost 6 months for school so I just want to get this laundry tub set up for my wife. Maybe when I get back I can take the fridge out and run a new line etc but don't have time to mess with all that right now.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Sharkbite has all kinds of pipe type connectors, you'll need to look it up. There are probably millions of homes with this plastic waterline and saddle valve, it will last for quite a while.

AndyKy99

Reaction score
I think it will work, I looked in the Q+A on some of the product pages and they said you can put polyethylene into it. I am attaching a picture of what it will be doing. Green is just showing my 90 degree and t connections. Does it matter where I tie in the fridge line, can it be in same spot?

Basically the washer and sink will share the same P trap and the ABS from sink will come down, do a 90 and connect directly into stand pipe. I know that the ABS for the drain for the sink is not the perfect scenario but as mentioned above this is allowed by code in Ontario.

Untitled.jpg

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the saddle tap will Last for quite a while before it floods your house.

When you make the connections for the laundry sink cut out the saddle tee and install 2 cold water and 1 hot stub outs under the sink. 1 cold valve will supply cold water to the faucet and the other cold valve will be 1/4" . Run a 1/4" copper line from under the laundry sink to the fridge and make the connection under the sink. This way you will always have an easily accessible valve to shut off water to the fridge.

AndyKy99

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. I did remove the saddle tee, might as well while we are doing the work. Was a bit more tricky in a couple of spots than anticipated. We didn't want to have to raise the laundry outlet box so used the flex coupling. Hardware store guy said it was acceptable for ABS so hope it is OK. Maybe could have used a slip coupler but I wasn't aware at the time.

Tested all the systems out and everything is good to go. Attached a pic as well in case anyone in the future reads the thread. We ended up going straight through the drywall (just a few 90 degrees, using same p trap as washing standpipe) as the drain and water lines were better aligned then anticipated.

andyky-01.jpg

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
Oldish thread, but looking for reasons why the OP's design is not "in code" in the US.
I'm going to add a utility sink next to my washer, and would like to drain it into the washing machine stand pipe. I don't have any other reasonable place to drain it.
Black lines are existing plumbing, Orange is proposed addition (doesn't show elbow coming out to the sink drain though), Green is a possible solution for adding a vent, would this bring the design up to code (1-1/4" vent ok?)? Would require drilling a bunch of additional holes through studs to get over to the existing vent... Or could I use an AAV instead of running a new vent line all the way over to existing vent?
Could someone explain what is the potential problem that could develop with the basic (orange) plan?
I would also like to add a p-trap to the laundry sink, only for the potential "I lost my Grandmother's diamond ring down the drain" scenario, where a p-trap below the sink could possibly "save the day." Ok, this would be a "double p-trap" but, again, what is the problem? If the washer draining might suck the water out of the sink p-trap, who cares? Sewer gas is already blocked by washer p-trap.
So basically wondering what realistic problems this set-up creates.
Thanks!
Utility Room Sink Addition.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I'm going to add a utility sink next to my washer, and would like to drain it into the washing machine stand pipe. I don't have any other reasonable place to drain it.
Works and "meets code" are different things.

Pretty much stuff that meets code works, but not necessary the other way around. MS does not have the same code throughout the state, so if you want to meet code, you need to find out what code applies.

The universal way that works is to drain the WM into the laundry sink and be rid of the standpipe.

If under IPC you can do this:

index.php

The venting you have on the standpipe may be ok as a "Common Vent" if the pipe sized are sufficient.

The thing that bites you for new stuff on IPC is that when you have combined WM drainage with anything else, you need to upgrade to 3 inch. This may be easy to get an exception for if you ask. Now if the drain is 2 inches that used to be fine, and you add in that laundry tub under 802.4.3.1 can you do that because your 2 inch drain was grandfathered? I don't know. And I don't know you are under IPC anyway.

Anyway, 802.4.3.1 may be useful to you if under IPC.

Last edited:

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
Reach4, thanks for your reply.
Since the wall is opened up, I COULD change the WM drain to 3", except how would I squeeze that inside a 2x4 wall? (max size for holes through studs is 60% of stud size (non-load bearing wall), = 2.1".
Not pulling a permit for this, so will probably go with your image and IPC2018 802.4.3.1, and the install will have been "3 years ago."
Funny how laws of physics seem to change from year to year, and also varies by region.
Would a san-T be appropriate from laundry tub drain to WM standpipe?
Is there a (physical) reason a p-trap cannot be installed for the sink?
I try to meet code for any home improvements, but this one just seems too onerous.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
The sink will drain very slowly or not at all if there are two traps in line, an air dam gets created. Only a San-t can be used.

Reach4

Reaction score
Would a san-T be appropriate from laundry tub drain to WM standpipe?
I think so. The combo would raise the height, and you are going to have to be careful to not have your sink drain too low.
Is there a (physical) reason a p-trap cannot be installed for the sink?
What WorthFlorida said, except it would be effectively vented by the standpipe. Still, avoid the dual traps, even if it probably would not cause a problem in this case.

Eric Nelson

Reaction score
I appreciate the quick responses. Will use a san-T, and will be careful not to drop Gramma's heirloom ring down the drain (won't use p-trap at sink).

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If that is acceptable practice in the area you live then that would be the simplest method. It is not allowed in my area because all fixtures must have their own ptrap. Its not much different than a double compartment sink except some older clothes washers can pump a lot of water.

Of bigger concern to me is that ice maker saddle tap tee that is attached to the pex pipe... That is a ticking time bomb. Even if that is PexAlPex, there isn't enuf structure to the tubing to compress and maintain a seal. In my area, saddle taps are only allowed under the sink or in the exterior of the building.

good catch. I wasn't even looking at the water lines. LISTEN TO TUTTLE, get that saddle valve GONE.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would unload the plastic water line for the refrigerator or humidifier and replace it with copper or with PEX tubing. I just had a new refrigerator delivered by HD and had them make the ice maker connection. They used PEX tubing. Also, the saddle valve on PEX is not a good way to go. Notice the PEX is deformed. Cut it out and use a Sharkbite 1/2" x 1/2" x 1/4" tee with a valve.

My son bought a house where the clowns that installed the new kitchen put in by the previous owner had this tubing behind the wall up into the attic and down the wall at the new location for the remodeled kitchen. One day he comes home and the wall is full of water. The tubing cracked inside the wall. I used this stuff before since at one time there wasn't much else. I used it between the wall and refrigerator and I was never comfortable with it. I did change it over one day with copper tubing.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/SharkBite-...NCXz5JB6-IhGjLL3epcaAikREALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

697285500600.jpg

NO - WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU USE A SHARKBITE? cut in a PEX fitting and pref. terminate to an icemaker box that can be secured to those studs.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks