Do I need a french drain at sloped side yard?

Users who are viewing this thread

2ndLeaf

Reaction score
I was digging at my sloped side yard along my house to get rid of the tree roots that might potentially damage the house foundation. After finishing the digging, I realize I effectively create a trench (1' x 1.5'). I can back fill the trench with dirt. Or I can take an advantage to install a french drain there. I never had water problem with my house. Do I really need to put a french drain at the sloped side yard? Or it's just a waste of time and effort to do so? I live in northern California where heavy rain only come several times a year.

LeeNat

Reaction score
I too would like to see what people think about these French drains as I have thought about putting one in but can't see that it wouldn't just
get clogged up after a few years but really have no idea.

Reach4

Reaction score
I put in one French drain into a yard low spot. It was effective and lasted years. I presume it still works fine. My method was a bunch of 3/16 or 1/4 inch holes in 3 inch PVC, and having pea gravel above and below. Then topsoil and grass. If I were doing it today, I would lay some kind of barrier cloth over the top, because people usually recommend it. My motivation to do it when I did was that I was getting a concrete driveway put in, and ran un-drilled PVC below the driveway bed before the pour.

At the upstream end I put an elbow up, with a buried cap, in case I needed to clean it at some point. Never used the cleanout.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks