How should I install Drain Line for my Water Softner System?

Users who are viewing this thread

luhem519

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am not sure how to install the drain line for my Water softener system (fleck 5600sxt 64k ) in the basement. Can I install to my sewer line shown in the picture? and if I can then what type of connection do I need? Any guidance will be helpful.

Thank you,

unnamed.jpg

S0x4qsk
S0x4qsk

Last edited:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
If you want to tie into that drain, you would install a standpipe with a P-trap on it. The stand pipe should be as tall as will fit with an air gap fitting on the top of it. A google image search for water softener standpipe air gap should give you the info you need.

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I install to my sewer line shown in the picture? and if I can then what type of connection do I need?
Where is the washing machine, and where does it drain? Your softener may be able to share that.

luhem519

Reaction score
Where is the washing machine, and where does it drain? Your softener may be able to share that.
Washing machine is upstairs. Not on the same level. Can it pump from basement level to level 1 ?

I believe i can’t throw it in sump pump?

I was looking at this video . I believe I need this pipe with air gap ?

Last edited:

Bannerman

Reaction score
A water softener typically relies on the incoming water pressure to provide drain flow, not a pump. The incoming water is simply redirected by the valve to follow an alternate path. The flow rate during Backwash and Rapid Rinse, will be limited by a flow restrictor to a specific gpm. During Brine Draw and Slow Rinse, the low flow rate to drain will be governed by the injector that is installed. Because drain flow is using incoming water pressure, the drain connection may often be located at a higher floor level than the softener.

An air gap is located where the pressurized water is discharged from the softener's drain line into the home's gravity drain system. As a water softener processes potable water, an air gap is intended to prevent bacterial cross-contamination from the sewer system back into the water softener if there should be a backup from the sewer system.

The following link shows various examples of manufactured air gap devices available.
https://www.google.com/search?q=water+softener+air+gap&rlz=1C1CHBF_enCA847CA848&sxsrf=ACYBGNRTT6L4m4ioi4ZHcG-7d8xUp-MDmw:1568154287212&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=hoqAljZ_eJ9J_M%253A%252C8HDPaEeTGDRhvM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQaQ85NBuwvt99z9vziCf0ux_i5kA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwix2_f5pcfkAhVFT98KHQX6CdoQ9QEwAHoECAIQAw#imgrc=hoqAljZ_eJ9J_M:

Last edited:

luhem519

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry I do not know my water pressure
Is there a distance limitation when bringing it to the basement level to level 1? I believe distance is around 50 or less ft from my water softener to Washing machine.
You can get a garden hose-connection (GHT, GH) pressure gauge for under $20, and maybe significantly less. You can connect to a laundry tap, outside, or to the water heater drain.

pressure-gauge-hosebib.jpg

You lose about 5 psi discharging up a floor. If you have 40 psi or more of water pressure, going up a floor should be no problem, and still have extra margin. Using 3/4 inch pvc or cpvc or pex pipe would give you plenty of extra margin, although in practice 1/2 should be enough. 3/4 would conform to the maker's specifications.

I don't see how the air gap that you pointed to will coexist with the washing machine discharge. With a 2 inch washing machine standpipe, you can fit both with some air gaps.

Last edited by a moderator:

luhem519

Reaction score

luhem519

Reaction score
You can get a garden hose-connection (GHT, GH) pressure gauge for under $20, and maybe significantly less. You can connect to a laundry tap, outside, or to the water heater drain.

You lose about 5 psi discharging up a floor. If you have 40 psi or more of water pressure, going up a floor should be no problem, and still have extra margin. Using 3/4 inch pvc or cpvc or pex pipe would give you plenty of extra margin, although in practice 1/2 should be enough. 3/4 would conform to the maker's specifications.

I don't see how the air gap that you pointed to will coexist with the washing machine discharge. With a 2 inch washing machine standpipe, you can fit both with some air gaps.
I will check the pressure and report here. I will post more pictures as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I don't think the air gap you purchased will fit where the washer drains so you will likely have to cut into the main drain downstairs and install a standpipe and P-trap there.

luhem519

Reaction score
Damn! That is bad news. I thought may there is an easy way. Is there a code on how the standpipe and p-trap set up should look like? like the length of pipe or connectors, etc.

Should I worried about the smell from the main drain pipe after?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
In the first picture you provided, it does not show where the vent line is. I think to meet code, your standpipe would need to loop into the vent line.

As for smell, the P-trap should remain primed and so no sewer gas should come out unless there is inadequate venting, hence why it should loop in to the vent line as well.

Reach4

Reaction score
I suspect the standpipe is properly vented, but the standpipe trap and venting is hidden in the wall.

Is that standpipe 1.5 inch ID, or 2 inch ID?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The model of air gap you purchased does not leave room for the washer drain to coexist in that small pipe. Some brands/models of air gap don't occupy as much of the pipe and might have room to coexist with the washer drain, however we cannot see the size of pipe that is in the wall.

luhem519

Reaction score
The model of air gap you purchased does not leave room for the washer drain to coexist in that small pipe. Some brands/models of air gap don't occupy as much of the pipe and might have room to coexist with the washer drain, however we cannot see the size of pipe that is in the wall.
I am thinking to buy this one and returned the other one.
https://www.amazon.com/Softener-Air...1&refRID=PB34HRNR3J62SRN97JF6#customerReviews

It would look like this I believe end product.
Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
https://airgap.com/product/washing-machine-air-gap-ag140-001/ has more pictures and installation methods.

While I said 3/4 would be the official recommendation, I fully believe that using 1/2 inch pvc for some or all would be fine. 1/2 inch should be particularly easier at the end.

If you can do some drywall work, this will be the nicest looking:
AG140-002-4.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks