What iron lvl is too high?

Users who are viewing this thread

Parched

Reaction score
I have read a lot on here and I see several times where people say "your well has too much iron for a water softener". Well whats too high? Does the salt that say it helps with iron work?

upload_2019-8-25_14-40-51.png

Reach4

Reaction score
0.3 is where they commonly draw the line. That is the secondary MCL for iron. https://www.epa.gov/dwregdev/drinking-water-regulations-and-contaminants

It is not a health problem. It is a taste and staining problem. A softner can deal with that level of hardness, but needs some extra attention... extra cleaning, and adding something to the salt.

There are people who like the taste of well water with iron, because they grew used to it.

Bannerman

Reaction score
While a softener may be utilized to eliminate some iron, it is simply not the best or an efficient method for iron reduction.

1 grain per gallon hardness equals 17.1 ppm hardness. Each 1 ppm iron will consume >85 ppm of softening capacity. Iron will also accumulate on the resin and will eventually impair the resin's ability to remove hardness. How rapidly the iron will accumulate will be influenced by variables such as the iron amount and water pH. Preventative maintenance will typically require ongoing manual resin cleanings using citric acid or commercial resin cleaners such as Super Iron Out. Salt for iron will include a small amount of acid to assist the salt to remove some iron from the resin, but if the iron level is significant, use of iron cleaning salt alone is usually insufficient to eliminate manual cleaning.

While there are better an more efficient methods for iron reduction, most people with a small amount of iron (ie:< 1ppm) will usually not want to spend additional funds for a dedicated iron reduction system. While some may argue the amount, on this forum, it is usually suggested to utilize a dedicated iron reduction system if the iron quantity is greater than 1 ppm.

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have a sulfur smell also, there are backwashing filters that deal with the iron and H2S both. A softener will not help with a sulfur smell.

Parched

Reaction score
While a softener may be utilized to eliminate some iron, it is simply not the best or an efficient method for iron reduction.

1 grain per gallon hardness equals 17.1 ppm hardness. Each 1 ppm iron will consume >85 ppm of softening capacity. Iron will also accumulate on the resin and will eventually impair the resin's ability to remove hardness. How rapidly the iron will accumulate will be influenced by variables such as the iron amount and water pH. Preventative maintenance will typically require ongoing manual resin cleanings using citric acid or commercial resin cleaners such as Super Iron Out. Salt for iron will include a small amount of acid to assist the salt to remove some iron from the resin, but if the iron level is significant, use of iron cleaning salt alone is usually insufficient to eliminate manual cleaning.

While there are better an more efficient methods for iron reduction, most people with a small amount of iron (ie:< 1ppm) will usually not want to spend additional funds for a dedicated iron reduction system. While some may argue the amount, on this forum, it is usually suggested to utilize a dedicated iron reduction system if the iron quantity is greater than 1 ppm.

Thank You! I have lived with my water with no treatment for 12 years. Just tired of the staining and wanted to try the easiest route first. It sounds like I may be able to at least try the softener and see what I think. If I'm close ... I would like to try.

Parched

Reaction score
If you have a sulfur smell also, there are backwashing filters that deal with the iron and H2S both. A softener will not help with a sulfur smell.
This is my second well ... first one went dry. The first one had a strong sulfur smell. It may have been so strong that I just don't notice the lesser amount in my new one. (not new but newer!)

Reach4

Reaction score
I just noticed that your test results say Hydrogen sufide: positive. Very few water reports include an H2S result, even the H2S qualitative report you got. Maybe get a young nose to sniff your water.

A 1.5 cuft softener would be sufficient for up to three people to soften and treat iron.

Last edited:

Parched

Reaction score
I just noticed that your test results say Hydrogen sufide: positive. Very few water reports include an H2S result, even the H2S qualitative report you got. Maybe get a young nose to sniff your water.

A 1.5 cuft softener would be sufficient for up to three people to soften and treat iron.

Ty! Just 2 of us now for the most part.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Iron bacteria, yes...
This should be treated properly. A iron reduction system with some type of sanitizing is preferred. There are Air Injection with Ozone systems available. Reasonably priced and they tend to work with low levels of iron bacteria.

Treeman

Reaction score
Hey Parched,

After spending a huge amount of time educating myself about water softening here and at other sites, I sized and purchased a replacement softener for our 2 occupant home about 2.5 years ago. I have hardness of about 22 gpg and iron about 1ppm +/- . I have mine set to 8lb. salt and override at 7 days. Using some home made spread sheet calculations (OCD), I opted for a bastard size softener of 1.25 cu. ft. to "hopefully" get as efficient as possible (salt AND water) before resorting to a more complex set up. I use the Rescare system to help and our softener has a turbolator (generally hated here, LOL).

My last similar softener lasted 16 years. I hope this one does too. Just sharing that I've done o.k. using a softener to handle this amount of iron. I concede to the pros here that more efficient systems exist.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
With low ph< you can remove over 20 PPM of iron, Not exactly efficient nor recommended, but it would technically work.
Iron reduction should be done with iron reduction systems if possible.

Iron bacteria, dont want to mess around with that, it will make a mess of things if not treated properly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks