Washing machine drain pipe overflows when I take a shower

Users who are viewing this thread

DeanJS

Reaction score
When I take a shower or run the water in the bathroom sink the washing machine drain pipe overflows in the basement. I've tried using a snake on the bathtub drain, but that didn't fix the problem ( it did remove a lot of hair though). I could try a chemical pipe cleaner, but if it doesn't work the basement might get flooded with those chemicals. I'm not sure what I should do next, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I've attached a picture of the basement pipes. Hope that helps.

Attachments

• WP_20160625_014.jpg
    WP_20160625_014.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 974

Reach4

Reaction score
If you have septic, get your system pumped, and hope it is not too late. If you have city sewer, get your lines professionally rodded out with a big machine.

DeanJS

Reaction score
I don't have a septic tank, my house drains into a sewer. I think the clog in the pipe is right around here.

iKPermX.jpg

I'll try to snake that pipe tomorrow and see if that works. If not, do you think I should try a chemical pipe cleaner or just call a plumber?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
All things point to a restiction in the building drain. You need a pro with a rodder or a jet to clear the main line.

The pipe going up on the left should be a vent for the laundry. There should not be any waste there if it is plumbed correctly. In the U.S., wet venting between floors is not permitted.

Last edited:

DeanJS

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. I'm trying to understand how all the pipes connect. Is this right?

8y88cX0.jpg

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it is done properly, the pipe on the left should not be a drain. If it is, the connection to the stack on the right is made improperly, as is the washer drain. No drain pipe should ever be reduced in size in the direction of flow. A proper drainage fitting into the stack from above would have been made with a wye.
There should also be a cleanout in the main line before it penetates the basement floor.

For every fixture trap, there has to be a vent going up. If the pipe has waste/drainage in it coming from above, it cannot be used as a vent.

Last edited:

DeanJS

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I understand now. The kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower and toilet all drain through that big pipe on the right and the pipe on the left is a vent, correct? If so, do I have to worry about waste from the toilet overflowing from the washing machine drain pipe? So far, when I flush the toilet nothing comes out of that pipe. I'm really worried now. I don't want any waste from the toilet flooding the basement.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
CacherChick is an expert, so anything I say defers to her and builds on it:

(A) That left pipe should not be where the water comes down from above, but it might be. It shouldn't be, because (1) that washer standpipe needs a vent, so it should be a vent, (2) the way the pipe is attached is not via a fitting that would direct the flow of water from above, which would be required by code if it was going to carry drainage, (3) where that pipe is located is where a vent pipe should be and it is attached like a vent pipe, and (4) code would require that that pipe be used only as a vent, because "wet venting" (meaning a pipe that is used for sink runoff and similar limited drainage flow but otherwise serves as a vent) is not allowed by NY code for drainage that is flowing from one floor to a floor below (NY Plumbing Code Section 909).

This doesn't mean that during a remodel some enterprising non-plumber handyman (or a hack plumber or the homeowner) didn't attach the sink and shower drain to that pipe, and if they did, the problem that you are having is the predictable result.

(B) If drainage is going into that pipe, you probably have a clog at the spot to which you have pointed with the arrow.

(C) That washer standpipe seems to be too short. The correct height is between 18" and 30" from where it connects to the trap, which must be between 6 and 18 inches from the floor. In other words, the top of the standpipe has to be at least 24" from the finished floor, and as much as a foot higher than that (and higher if the trap is higher).

(D) It seems odd that if the two types of wastewater (shower/sink and toilet) are both going into the bigger pipe that you would get a backup only when you use the shower and not when you flush, although if you have a newer 1.6 gallon per flush toilet, you may be putting less water into that drain from the toilet than if you take a shower and thus it doesn't come out of the standpipe.

(E) As CacherChick says, the most likely problem is that the main drain to the sewer is backing up (or restricted) at some place below the point that that whole system connects together in your photos, and you should have someone come and snake (rod) out the main line, or water jet it. I don't know where in NY you are, but if you are on Long Island (Nassau/Suffolk), a respected plumber on here recommended Dan at Ranger Sewer to me (www.rangersewer.com), and we used him several times at our family home in Nassau. He did a great job at a reasonable price for the quality of service. Among other things, we had a driveway drain that a couple of drain companies and a trusted contractor told us would have to be dug up and the piping replaced, because the long pipe from the drain to the cistern it emptied into was just too clogged with dirt and gravel, after efforts were made to rod it out. Dan came with his powerful water jet setup, and blew the thing out, with a lot of effort, in about half an hour. That was several years ago, and it still works like a champ. And his price for that was excellent, for what it was. Other people we referred him to have been more than satisfied. He is very meticulous, and takes each job very seriously.

PS If you are interested in learning more about your home's plumbing, here are two handouts for homeowners (one with illustrations and the other with photos) that explain how things are supposed to go together. They are not based on NY Code, but most of what they say is the same as is required here.

Plumbing-and-Trenching-for-Homeowners---2018 (klickitatcounty.org)

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited by a moderator:

Plumber69

In the Trades
Reaction score
Thanks, I think I understand now. The kitchen sink, bathroom sink, shower and toilet all drain through that big pipe on the right and the pipe on the left is a vent, correct? If so, do I have to worry about waste from the toilet overflowing from the washing machine drain pipe? So far, when I flush the toilet nothing comes out of that pipe. I'm really worried now. I don't want any waste from the toilet flooding the basement.

The only way the shower will overflow ur laundry is if it shares the same drain. The bigger pipe is for toilet. Snake the laundry pipe. Run hot water for 5 mins and you will which drain it uses cause the pipe will warm up. Snake ur laundry problem fix.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The only way the shower will overflow ur laundry is if it shares the same drain. The bigger pipe is for toilet. Snake the laundry pipe. Run hot water for 5 mins and you will which drain it uses cause the pipe will warm up. Snake ur laundry problem fix.

Temporarily, maybe. No plumber would have tied fixtures in that way.

DeanJS

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got some plumbers that are going to come this week. I live in Nassau, so I'll also try Dan at Ranger Sewer. I'm going to cut back on my water use and put a big bucket under the washer standpipe for now. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix.

Deliwe

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks for all the info. I got some plumbers that are going to come this week. I live in Nassau, so I'll also try Dan at Ranger Sewer. I'm going to cut back on my water use and put a big bucket under the washer standpipe for now. Hopefully it won't be too expensive to fix.
I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm also in Nassau Co. Did you try Dan at Ranger Sewer?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail on a Cancer Drug Started 1/31/24. ☹
Solutions
Reaction score
The laundry pipe with the furnco coupler, I'll bet the original pipe rotted away and this was a fix.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks