Sleeve for PEX in soil

Users who are viewing this thread

Cjccmc

Reaction score
CA plumbing code says:

When PEX tubing is placed in soil and is used in potable water systems intended to supply drinking water to fixtures or appliances, the tubing or piping shall be sleeved with a material approved for potable water use in soil or other material that is impermeable to solvents or petroleum products.

Does all/most PEX have such a sleeve?

https://up.codes/viewer/california/...chapter/6/water-supply-and-distribution#604.0

Cjccmc

Reaction score
NONE do. You have to supply that sleeve, using something like PVC pipe or a larger size PEX or other material that it can slide through it

That kind of kills any advantage PEX would have over just running PVC to carry the water for my case. I doubt many PEX installs here are providing such a sleeve without there being a convenient and cheap way of doing it.

I wonder why there is a concern about the petroleum products? Maybe they react and deteriorate the PEX?

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I had a question about this myself so am just now reading this thread. I have a short run to do under a slab. I like the idea of spending a few extra bucks to run PEX inside a larger PVC pipe so that if necessary it can be changed out. In the past year I have had to repair a few PEX pipes in homes because pin holes had developed in them and they were not rubbing on anything that would cause leaks from abrasion. This coming week we have to run hot and cold water lines under a slab to be poured. I'm seriously thinking about running them inside gray plastic conduit as I have done for radiant floor heat where it passes through the slab.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks